Обсуждение: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"Ravi Chemudugunta"
Дата:
Hello,

I have a typical many to many join table, in this instance it is
capturing the multiplicity described as "one person can have many
rooms and one room can have many persons".  Further the join expresses
where in the room the person is sitting, a seat number.  I am creating
a function to abstract this away, if there is no record with the same
person and room the insert otherwise if it already exists update the
record with the new seat value.

create table person_room (
    id serial,
    person_id int,
    room_id int,
    seat varchar(255),
    unique (person_id, room_id)
);

-- version 1
create or replace function add_person_to_room(person int, room int, s
varchar(255)) as $$
begin
    insert into person_room(person_id, room_id, seat) values (person, room, s);
exception when unique_violation then
    update person_room set seat = s where (person_id = person) and
(room_id = room);
end;
$$ language 'plpgsql';

-- version 2
create or replace function add_person_to_room(person int, room int, s
varchar(255)) as $$
declare
    i int;
begin
    select into i id from person_room where (person_id = person) and
(room_id = room);
    if (not found) then
        insert into person_room(person_id, room_id, seat) values
(person, room, s);
    else
        update person_room set seat = s where (person_id = person) and
(room_id = room);
end;
$$ language 'plpgsql';

Which version is faster?
Does the exception mechanism add any overhead?
Which is more cleaner?

-ravi

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Ravi Chemudugunta (chemuduguntar@gmail.com) wrote:
> Which version is faster?

In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.

> Does the exception mechanism add any overhead?

Yes, using exceptions adds a fair bit of overhead.  Quote from the
documentation found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html

Tip:  A block containing an EXCEPTION clause is significantly more
expensive to enter and exit than a block without one. Therefore, don't
use EXCEPTION without need.

> Which is more cleaner?

That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally.  Given the lack of
complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
that much.

    Enjoy,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"Stephen Denne"
Дата:
Stephen Frost wrote
> * Ravi Chemudugunta (chemuduguntar@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Which version is faster?
>
> In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
> as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.
>
> > Does the exception mechanism add any overhead?
>
> Yes, using exceptions adds a fair bit of overhead.  Quote from the
> documentation found here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-control-stru
> ctures.html
>
> Tip:  A block containing an EXCEPTION clause is significantly more
> expensive to enter and exit than a block without one. Therefore, don't
> use EXCEPTION without need.
>
> > Which is more cleaner?
>
> That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally.  Given
> the lack of
> complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
> that much.

A third option is to update, if not found, insert.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any
attachmentsis confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If it is not intended for you please advise by reply
immediately,destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.
  This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"Ravi Chemudugunta"
Дата:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

>  In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
>  as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.

I am running a benchmark with around 900,000 odd records (real-load on
the live machine :o ) ... should show hopefully some good benchmarking
results for the two methods.

>  That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally.  Given the lack of
>  complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
>  that much.

I would like to make a comment that is that the only downside I saw of
using the exception approach was that if for some reason someone
forgot to add the unique constraint to the table, it would be a bit of
a nightmare-ness.  (I am porting some code into the server where the
schema does not have these constraints setup, only in the devel
database).

Will reply back with my conclusions, I am expecting a large difference.

Cheers,

ravi

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"Robins Tharakan"
Дата:
Coming to think of it.

Would it fine to consider that an UPDATE query that found no records to update is (performance wise) the same as a SELECT query with the same WHERE clause ?

As in, does an UPDATE query perform additional overhead even before it finds the record to work on ?

Robins

I get into these situations quite often and use exactly what stephen pointed out.

Do an Update, but if not found, do an insert. Its (by and large) better than your version 2 since here you may skip running the second query (if the record exists) but in version 2, two queries are *always* run. And considering that exception is heavy, this may be a good attempt to give a try as well.

update person_room set seat = s where (person_id = person) and (room_id = room);
if not found then
   insert into person_room(person_id, room_id, seat) values (person, room, s);
end if

Robins

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Stephen Denne <Stephen.Denne@datamail.co.nz> wrote:
Stephen Frost wrote
> * Ravi Chemudugunta (chemuduguntar@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Which version is faster?
>
> In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
> as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.
>
> > Does the exception mechanism add any overhead?
>
> Yes, using exceptions adds a fair bit of overhead.  Quote from the
> documentation found here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-control-stru
> ctures.html
>
> Tip:  A block containing an EXCEPTION clause is significantly more
> expensive to enter and exit than a block without one. Therefore, don't
> use EXCEPTION without need.
>
> > Which is more cleaner?
>
> That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally.  Given
> the lack of
> complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
> that much.

A third option is to update, if not found, insert.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If it is not intended for you please advise by reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.
 This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
             Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

Дата:
"Robins Tharakan" <tharakan@gmail.com> writes:
> Would it fine to consider that an UPDATE query that found no records to
> update is (performance wise) the same as a SELECT query with the same WHERE
> clause ?

> As in, does an UPDATE query perform additional overhead even before it finds
> the record to work on ?

The UPDATE would fire BEFORE STATEMENT and AFTER STATEMENT triggers, if
there are any.  Also, it would take a slightly stronger lock on the
table, which might result in blocking either the UPDATE itself or some
concurrent query where a plain SELECT would not've.

There might be some other corner cases I've forgotten.  But in the basic
case I think your assumption is correct.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
James Mansion
Дата:
Stephen Denne wrote:
> A third option is to update, if not found, insert.

I find myself having to do this in Sybase, but it sucks because there's
a race - if there's no row updated then there's no lock and you race
another thread doing the same thing. So you grab a row lock on a
sacrificial row used as a mutex, or just a table lock. Or you just
accept that sometimes you have to detect the insert fail and retry the
whole transaction. Which is sucky however you look at it.

I think the 'update or insert' or 'merge' extensions make a degree
of sense. At least in psql one can use the lightweight lock manager.

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"chemuduguntar@gmail.com"
Дата:
> I find myself having to do this in Sybase, but it sucks because there's
> a race - if there's no row updated then there's no lock and you race
> another thread doing the same thing. So you grab a row lock on a
> sacrificial row used as a mutex, or just a table lock. Or you just
> accept that sometimes you have to detect the insert fail and retry the
> whole transaction. Which is sucky however you look at it.

hmm should I be worried ?

I am doing an 'update if not found insert', in some cases I have found
that I need to select anyway, for e.g. take away 20 dollars from this
person;

(all variables prefixed with _ are local variables)

select into _money money from person_money where person_id = _person;
if (not found) then
  insert into person_money (person_id, money) values (_person, -
_requested_amount);
else
  update person_money set money = money - _requested_amount where
person_id = _person;
  -- return new quantity
  return _money - _requested_quantity; -- <- i need the quantity so I
have to select here.
end if;

if I am not mistaken your are saying that between the select and the
if (not found) then ... end if; block ... another concurrent process
could be executing the same thing and insert ... while in the first
thread found is still 'false' and so it ends up inserting and over
writing / causing a unique violation or some kind?

BTW, I did a benchmark with and without exceptions, the exceptions
version was very slow, so slow that I ended up killing it ... I am
sure it would have taken atleast 5 hours (was already 3 hours in) ...
versus, 25 mins!  I guess the trouble was that I was using exceptions
to overload 'normal' flow ... i.e. update if exists else update is not
an exceptional circumstance and so exceptions are a bad choice.

It would be interesting to see how much overhead exception containing
functions present when they do not throw any exceptions ... for never
to every few records to all the time ... maybe I will try it with my
parsing functions (which catch exceptions thrown by substring()).

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
"Robins Tharakan"

I think James was talking about Sybase. Postgresql on the other hand has a slightly better way to do this.

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE allows you to lock a given row (based on the SELECT ... WHERE clause) and update it... without worrying about a concurrent modification. Of course, if the SELECT ... WHERE didn't bring up any rows, you would need to do an INSERT anyway.

Read more about SELECT ... FOR UPDATE here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-select.html#SQL-FOR-UPDATE-SHARE

Robins

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:48 PM, chemuduguntar@gmail.com <chemuduguntar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find myself having to do this in Sybase, but it sucks because there's
> a race - if there's no row updated then there's no lock and you race
> another thread doing the same thing. So you grab a row lock on a
> sacrificial row used as a mutex, or just a table lock. Or you just
> accept that sometimes you have to detect the insert fail and retry the
> whole transaction. Which is sucky however you look at it.

hmm should I be worried ?

I am doing an 'update if not found insert', in some cases I have found
that I need to select anyway, for e.g. take away 20 dollars from this
person;

(all variables prefixed with _ are local variables)

select into _money money from person_money where person_id = _person;
if (not found) then
 insert into person_money (person_id, money) values (_person, -
_requested_amount);
else
 update person_money set money = money - _requested_amount where
person_id = _person;
 -- return new quantity
 return _money - _requested_quantity; -- <- i need the quantity so I
have to select here.
end if;

if I am not mistaken your are saying that between the select and the
if (not found) then ... end if; block ... another concurrent process
could be executing the same thing and insert ... while in the first
thread found is still 'false' and so it ends up inserting and over
writing / causing a unique violation or some kind?

BTW, I did a benchmark with and without exceptions, the exceptions
version was very slow, so slow that I ended up killing it ... I am
sure it would have taken atleast 5 hours (was already 3 hours in) ...
versus, 25 mins!  I guess the trouble was that I was using exceptions
to overload 'normal' flow ... i.e. update if exists else update is not
an exceptional circumstance and so exceptions are a bad choice.

It would be interesting to see how much overhead exception containing
functions present when they do not throw any exceptions ... for never
to every few records to all the time ... maybe I will try it with my
parsing functions (which catch exceptions thrown by substring()).

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
James Mansion
Дата:
Robins Tharakan wrote:

> I think James was talking about Sybase. Postgresql on the other hand
> has a slightly better way to do this.
>
> SELECT ... FOR UPDATE allows you to lock a given row (based on the
> SELECT ... WHERE clause) and update it... without worrying about a
> concurrent modification. Of course, if the SELECT ... WHERE didn't
> bring up any rows, you would need to do an INSERT anyway.
How does that help?

If the matching row doesn't exist at that point - what is there to get
locked?

The problem is that you need to effectively assert a lock on the primary
key so that you can update
the row (if it exists) or insert a row with that key (if it doesn't)
without checking and then inserting and
finding that some other guy you were racing performed the insert and you
get a duplicate key error.

How does Postgresql protect against this?

James

Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Ravi Chemudugunta wrote:
>>  In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
>>  as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.
>
> I am running a benchmark with around 900,000 odd records (real-load on
> the live machine :o ) ... should show hopefully some good benchmarking
> results for the two methods.

Please do, and please share. I know the docs say that exception
blocks make things "significantly" more expensive, but I think that
the community also sometimes loses the forest for the tree. Setting
up a savepoint (AFAIK that's the actual expense in the exception
block) is fairly CPU-intensive, but it's not common for a database
server to be CPU-bound, even for OLTP. You're usually still waiting
on disk.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org