Обсуждение: Finalizing commit taking very long

Finalizing commit taking very long

От
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli"
Дата:
Hello,

I am having a strange latency problem on my instance of Postgres that
I don't know how to investigate.

I am accessing the db instance using a Java application and the
Cayenne mapping framework. Everything works fine, except when it is
time to delete a user account (that is a user of the application, not
of Postgres).

Deleting an account trigger a (sort-of) cascade delete to remove also
all the dependent records stored on the db. The cascade constraints
are managed by the Cayenne library, and the db receives a list of
delete statements for all the rows of the different tables that should
be deleted; this is probably not optimal from a db point of view, but
is extremely convenient from an application point of view.

Anyway, the deletion of all the records is executed without much
problems (I had a huge slowdown here a few weeks ago, but I was
missing an index on a constraint).

Obviously, all the delete statements are grouped into a single
transaction; and when it is time to commit this transaction, the db
instance takes "forever".

Here are some logs taken from the db server:

[ lot of delete statements skipped]
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:
 DELETE FROM connection.USRCNN WHERE ID_USRCNN = $1]
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  duration: 0.206 ms
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  duration: 0.206 ms  statement: EXECUTE
<unnamed>  [PREPARE:  DELETE FROM connection.USRCNN WHERE ID_USRCNN =
$1]
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: PREPARE <unnamed> AS DELETE
FROM clipperz.USR WHERE ID_USR = $1
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: <BIND>
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:
 DELETE FROM clipperz.USR WHERE ID_USR = $1]
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  duration: 0.761 ms
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  duration: 0.761 ms  statement: EXECUTE
<unnamed>  [PREPARE:  DELETE FROM clipperz.USR WHERE ID_USR = $1]
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: <BIND>
2007-10-24 12:13:17 CEST LOG:  statement: EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:  COMMIT]
2007-10-24 12:13:51 CEST LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "clipperz_beta"
2007-10-24 12:14:51 CEST LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "clipperz_beta"
2007-10-24 12:15:10 CEST LOG:  duration: 113300.147 ms
2007-10-24 12:15:10 CEST LOG:  duration: 113300.147 ms  statement:
EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:  COMMIT]

As you may notice, the commit phase takes almost 2 full minutes. :-(

How can I understand what is going on on that timeframe in order to
try to fix it?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Giulio Cesare

PS: I run my development machine on a MacOS, with Postgres running on
a Parallels virtual machine. I don't think this really matters for the
above problem, but in case ...

Re: Finalizing commit taking very long

Дата:
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli" <giulio.cesare@gmail.com> writes:
> As you may notice, the commit phase takes almost 2 full minutes. :-(

Yow.  It's hard to believe that the actual commit (ie, flushing the
commit record to WAL) could take more than a fraction of a second.
I'm thinking there must be a pile of pre-commit work to do, like a
lot of deferred triggers.  Do you use deferred foreign keys?
If so, the most likely bet is that the DELETE is triggering a lot
of deferred FK checks, and these are slow for some reason (maybe
another missing index).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Finalizing commit taking very long

От
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli"
Дата:
Hello Tom,

> "Giulio Cesare Solaroli" <giulio.cesare@gmail.com> writes:
> > As you may notice, the commit phase takes almost 2 full minutes. :-(
>
> Yow.  It's hard to believe that the actual commit (ie, flushing the
> commit record to WAL) could take more than a fraction of a second.
> I'm thinking there must be a pile of pre-commit work to do, like a
> lot of deferred triggers.  Do you use deferred foreign keys?
> If so, the most likely bet is that the DELETE is triggering a lot
> of deferred FK checks, and these are slow for some reason (maybe
> another missing index).

I have most (if not all) of my constraint defined with the DEFERRABLE
INITIALLY DEFERRED clause.

I have done this as I have not a direct control on the order of the
SQL statements that the Cayenne library sends to the server, and this
will avoid all the constraint violations inside a single transaction.

How can I try to isolate the trigger taking so long, in oder to
understand which is/are the missing index(es)?

Best regards,

Giulio Cesare

Re: Finalizing commit taking very long

Дата:
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli" <giulio.cesare@gmail.com> writes:
> How can I try to isolate the trigger taking so long, in oder to
> understand which is/are the missing index(es)?

Try SET CONSTRAINTS ALL IMMEDIATE and then EXPLAIN ANALYZE the
delete.  This should cause all the triggers to run within the
scope of the EXPLAIN ANALYZE, and you'll be able to see which
one(s) are slow.  (This assumes you're running a recent release
of PG; I think EXPLAIN shows trigger times since 8.1 or so.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Finalizing commit taking very long

От
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli"
Дата:
> "Giulio Cesare Solaroli" <giulio.cesare@gmail.com> writes:
> > How can I try to isolate the trigger taking so long, in oder to
> > understand which is/are the missing index(es)?
>
> Try SET CONSTRAINTS ALL IMMEDIATE and then EXPLAIN ANALYZE the
> delete.  This should cause all the triggers to run within the
> scope of the EXPLAIN ANALYZE, and you'll be able to see which
> one(s) are slow.  (This assumes you're running a recent release
> of PG; I think EXPLAIN shows trigger times since 8.1 or so.)

I was thinking about something similar after writing the last message.

Thank you very much for your attention!!

Giulio Cesare

Re: Finalizing commit taking very long

От
"Giulio Cesare Solaroli"
Дата:
Hello Tom,

I can confirm that adding the indexes used by the deferred constraint
triggers solved the issue.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Giulio Cesare