Обсуждение: Terminology Question

Terminology Question

От
"Campbell, Lance"

Terminology Question:

If I use the following statement:

I am backing up schema XYZ every 30 minutes.

Does this statement imply that I am only backing up the definition of the data?  Or does it mean that I am backing up the definition of the data and the data within the schema object?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois

217.333.0382

http://webservices.uiuc.edu

Re: Terminology Question

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 8/20/07, Campbell, Lance <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Terminology Question:
>
> If I use the following statement:
>
> I am backing up schema XYZ every 30 minutes.
>
> Does this statement imply that I am only backing up the definition of the
> data?  Or does it mean that I am backing up the definition of the data and
> the data within the schema object?

In db parlance, schema means two different things really.

One is that layout of your data (how tables are related etc...)
The other is the namespace that a set of objects can live in.  i.e.
There is a certain amount of overlap here as well.

dbname.schemaname.objectname.fieldname

In this instance, "backing up" a schema pretty much implies the
namespace version of schema.

OTOH, a phrase like "I think your schema has some design flaws pretty
obviously points to the first definition relating to the layout of
your data.

Re: Terminology Question

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Terminology Question:
>
> If I use the following statement:
>

> I am backing up schema XYZ every 30 minutes.
>

> Does this statement imply that I am only backing up the definition of
> the data?  Or does it mean that I am backing up the definition of the
> data and the data within the schema object?

I read that as you are backing up the schema and all objects + data
within the schema XYZ every 30 minutes.

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>

> Lance Campbell