Обсуждение: Regarding Timezone

Regarding Timezone

От
"soni de"
Дата:
Hello,

We have installed postgres 8.2.0

default time zone which postgres server using is

template1=# SHOW timezone;
 TimeZone
-----------
 ETC/GMT-5
(1 row)

But we want to set this timezone parameter to IST.
Our system timezone is also in IST. We are using solaris.

Please provide me some help regarding this.

Thanks,

Soni

Re: Regarding Timezone

От
Heikki Linnakangas
soni de wrote:
> But we want to set this timezone parameter to IST.
> Our system timezone is also in IST. We are using solaris.

This is the performance-list, and this is not a performance-related
question. Please use the pgsql-general or pgsql-novice list for this
kind of questions.

PostgreSQL should pick up the correct timezone from system
configuration. I don't know why that's not happening in your case, but
you can use the "timezone" parameter in postgresql.conf to set it
manually. See manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-TIMEZONE

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: Regarding Timezone

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Tue, dem 19.06.2007, um 13:12:58 +0530 mailte soni de folgendes:
> Hello,
>
> We have installed postgres 8.2.0
>
> default time zone which postgres server using is
>
> template1=# SHOW timezone;
>  TimeZone
> -----------
>  ETC/GMT-5
> (1 row)
>

> But we want to set this timezone parameter to IST.
> Our system timezone is also in IST. We are using solaris.

ALTER DATABASE foo SET TIMEZONE TO 'bla';

You can alter the template-database.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Regarding Timezone

Дата:
"soni de" <soni.de@gmail.com> writes:
> But we want to set this timezone parameter to IST.

Which "IST" are you interested in?  Irish, Israel, or Indian Standard Time?
Postgres prefers to use the zic timezone names, which are less
ambiguous.  Try this to see likely options:

regression=# select * from pg_timezone_names where abbrev = 'IST';
     name      | abbrev | utc_offset | is_dst
---------------+--------+------------+--------
 Asia/Calcutta | IST    | 05:30:00   | f
 Asia/Colombo  | IST    | 05:30:00   | f
 Europe/Dublin | IST    | 01:00:00   | t
 Eire          | IST    | 01:00:00   | t
(4 rows)

If you're after Indian Standard Time, set timezone to 'Asia/Calcutta'.
You'll probably also want to set timezone_abbreviations to 'India' so
that "IST" is interpreted the way you want in timestamp datatype input.
See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datetime-config-files.html

            regards, tom lane