Обсуждение: Turning off Autovacuum

Turning off Autovacuum

От
"Steven Flatt"
Дата:
Not quite a performance question, but I can't seem to find a simple answer to this.  We're using 8.1.4 and the autovacuum daemon is running every 40 seconds cycling between 3 databases.  What is the easiest way to disable the autovacuumer for a minute or two, do some other work, then re-enable it?  Do I have to modify postgresql.conf and send a HUP signal to pick up the changes?

I figured this would work but I can't find a reason why not:

# show autovacuum;
 autovacuum
------------
 on
(1 row)

# set autovacuum to off;
ERROR:  parameter "autovacuum" cannot be changed now

In postgresql.conf:

autovacuum = on

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Turning off Autovacuum

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
If you want to disable it only for some tables, you can put special
values into pg_autovacuum. This won't disable the autovacuum daemon, but
some of the tables won't be vacuumed.

Tomas
> Not quite a performance question, but I can't seem to find a simple
> answer to this.  We're using 8.1.4 and the autovacuum daemon is
> running every 40 seconds cycling between 3 databases.  What is the
> easiest way to disable the autovacuumer for a minute or two, do some
> other work, then re-enable it?  Do I have to modify postgresql.conf
> and send a HUP signal to pick up the changes?
>
> I figured this would work but I can't find a reason why not:
>
> # show autovacuum;
>  autovacuum
> ------------
>  on
> (1 row)
>
> # set autovacuum to off;
> ERROR:  parameter "autovacuum" cannot be changed now
>
> In postgresql.conf:
>
> autovacuum = on
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Re: Turning off Autovacuum

От
"Steven Flatt"
Дата:
Yeah, I'm hoping there's an easier way.  I'd have to put several thousand entries in the pg_autovacuum table only to remove them a few minutes later.  What I really want is to disable the daemon.

Any idea why I can't just simply set autovacuum to off?

Steve