Обсуждение: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
"Cestmir Hybl"
Дата:
Hello all

First of all, I do understand why pgsql with it's MVCC design has to examine tuples to evaluate "count(*)" and "count(*) where (...)" queries in environment with heavy concurrent updates.

This kind of usage IMHO isn't the average one. There are many circumstances with rather "query often, update rarely" character.

Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track of whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table and if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value (count(*)) to perform this kind of query?

(sorry for disturbing if this was already discussed)

Regards,

Cestmir Hybl

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track of whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table and if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value (count(*)) to perform this kind of query?

if i understand your problem correctly, then simple usage of triggers will do the job just fine.

hubert

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
"Cestmir Hybl"
Дата:
Yes, I can possibly use triggers to maintanin counts of several fixed groups of records or total recordcount (but it's unpractical).

No, I can't speed-up evaluation of generic "count(*) where ()" queries this way.

My question was rather about general performance of count() queries in environment with infrequent updates.

Cestmir
Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track of whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table and if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value (count(*)) to perform this kind of query?

if i understand your problem correctly, then simple usage of triggers will do the job just fine.

hubert

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:24:05AM +0200, Cestmir Hybl wrote:
> Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track of
> whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table and
> if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value (count(*)) to
> perform this kind of query?

Even if there is no running update, there might still be dead rows in the
table. In any case, of course, a new update could always be occurring while
your counting query was still running.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
"Cestmir Hybl"
collision: it's possible to either block updating transaction until index
scan ends or discard index scan imediately and finish query using MVCC
compliant scan

dead rows: this sounds like more serious counter-argument, I don't know much
about dead records management and whether it would be  possible/worth to
make indexes matching live records when there's no transaction in progress
on that table

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:24:05AM +0200, Cestmir Hybl wrote:
>> Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track
>> of
>> whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table and
>> if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value (count(*)) to
>> perform this kind of query?
>
> Even if there is no running update, there might still be dead rows in the
> table. In any case, of course, a new update could always be occurring
> while
> your counting query was still running.
>
> /* Steinar */
> --
> Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 01:14:20PM +0200, Cestmir Hybl wrote:
> collision: it's possible to either block updating transaction until
> index scan ends or discard index scan imediately and finish query using
> MVCC compliant scan

You can't change from one scan method to a different one on the fly.
There's no way to know which tuples have alreaady been returned.

Our index access methods are designed to be very concurrent, and it
works extremely well.  One index scan being able to block an update
would destroy that advantage.

> dead rows: this sounds like more serious counter-argument, I don't know
> much about dead records management and whether it would be
> possible/worth to make indexes matching live records when there's no
> transaction in progress on that table

It's not possible, because a finishing transaction would have to clean
up every index it has used, and also any index it hasn't used but has
been modified by another transaction which couldn't clean up by itself
but didn't do the work because the first one was looking at the index.
It's easy to see that it's possible to create an unbounded number of
transactions, each forcing the other to do some index cleanup.  This is
not acceptable.

Plus, it would be very hard to implement, and a very wide door to bugs.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Et put se mouve" (Galileo Galilei)

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

Дата:
"Cestmir Hybl" <cestmirl@freeside.sk> writes:
> Isn't it possible (and reasonable) for these environments to keep track =
> of whether there is a transaction in progress with update to given table =
> and if not, use an index scan (count(*) where) or cached value =
> (count(*)) to perform this kind of query?

Please read the archives before bringing up such well-discussed issues.

There's a workable-looking design in the archives (pghackers probably)
for maintaining overall table counts in a separate table, with each
transaction adding one row of "delta" information just before it
commits.  I haven't seen anything else that looks remotely attractive.

            regards, tom lane

Re: count(*) using index scan in "query often, update rarely" environment

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата: