Обсуждение: ODBC driver over network very slow

ODBC driver over network very slow

От
Milan Sekanina
Дата:
We are running an application that uses psqlodbc driver on Windows XP to
connect to a server and for some reason the download of data from the
server is very slow. We have created a very simple test application that
inserts a larger amount of data into the database and uses a simple
"SELECT * from test" to download it back. The INSERT of 10MB takes about
4 seconds, while the SELECT takes almost 5 minutes (with basically
nothing else running on both the network and the two computers). If we
run the PostgreSQL server on the local machine so that the network is
not used, both actions are very fast.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this behavior? Are there
any driver settings/other drivers we should use? We are currently using
psqlodbc version 7.03.02.00, but it seems that other versions we tried
show the same behavior. We have tweaked the various driver settings but
the times remain basically unchanged.

Any ideas or hints are warmly welcome.

regards
Milan

Re: ODBC driver over network very slow

Дата:
Milan Sekanina <milan@sde.cz> writes:
> We are running an application that uses psqlodbc driver on Windows XP to
> connect to a server and for some reason the download of data from the
> server is very slow. We have created a very simple test application that
> inserts a larger amount of data into the database and uses a simple
> "SELECT * from test" to download it back. The INSERT of 10MB takes about
> 4 seconds, while the SELECT takes almost 5 minutes (with basically
> nothing else running on both the network and the two computers). If we
> run the PostgreSQL server on the local machine so that the network is
> not used, both actions are very fast.

I seem to recall having seen similar reports not involving ODBC at all.
Try searching the mailing-list archives, but I think the cases we solved
involved getting rid of third-party add-ons to the Windows TCP stack.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ODBC driver over network very slow

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
> Milan Sekanina <milan@sde.cz> writes:
> > We are running an application that uses psqlodbc driver on Windows
XP to
> > connect to a server and for some reason the download of data from
the
> > server is very slow. We have created a very simple test application
that
> > inserts a larger amount of data into the database and uses a simple
> > "SELECT * from test" to download it back. The INSERT of 10MB takes
about
> > 4 seconds, while the SELECT takes almost 5 minutes (with basically
> > nothing else running on both the network and the two computers). If
we
> > run the PostgreSQL server on the local machine so that the network
is
> > not used, both actions are very fast.
>
> I seem to recall having seen similar reports not involving ODBC at
all.
> Try searching the mailing-list archives, but I think the cases we
solved
> involved getting rid of third-party add-ons to the Windows TCP stack.

IIRC there was a TCP related fix in the odbc driver related to
performance with large buffers.  I'd suggest trying a newer odbc driver
first.

Merlin

dave page wrote ([odbc] 500 times slower)

> My collegue spent some time to dig the following case and it
> looks like
> Nagle algorithm and delayed ACKs related problem.
> In psqlodbc.h
> #define SOCK_BUFFER_SIZE            4096
>
> I changed that value to 8192 and driver works fine for me.
> I am not sure why this change helps.

Err, no neither am I. Why do you think it's got something to do with
Nagle/delayed ACKs?

The only thing that instantly rings bells for me is that the max size of
a text field is 8190 bytes at present (which really should be increased,
if not removed altogether), which won't fit in the default buffer. But
then, I wouldn't expect to see the performance drop you describe with a
4096 byte buffer, only one much smaller.

Re: ODBC driver over network very slow

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
I was hesitant to jump in on this because I am new to PostgreSQL and
haven't seen this problem with _it_, but I have seen this with the
Sybase database products.  You can configure Sybase to disable the Nagle
algorithm.  If you don't, any query which returns rows too big to fit in
their network buffer will be painfully slow.  Increasing the buffer size
can help with an individual query, but it just reduces the scope of the
problem.  What you really want to do is make sure that TCP_NODELAY is
set for the connection, to disable the Nagle algorithm; it just doesn't
seem to be appropriate for returning query results.

How this issue comes into play in PostgreSQL is beyond my ken, but
hopefully this observation is helpful to someone.

-Kevin