Обсуждение: postgresql.conf runtime statistics default

postgresql.conf runtime statistics default

От
Yann Michel
Дата:
Hi,

after having migrated a 7.2 pg-database to 7.4 while upgrdaing from
debian woody to debian sarge there are some more conf-Parameters to
evaluate.
We are running a small but continuously growing datawarehouse which has
recently around 40 million fact entries.

To my question: I found the parameter "stats_reset_on_server_start"
which is set to true by default. Why did you choose this (and not false)
and what are the impacts of changeing it to false? I mean, as long as I
understood it, each query or statements generates some statistic data
which is used by the optimizer (or anything equal) later on. So in my
oppinion, wouldn't it be better so set this parameter to false and to
enable a kind of a "startup reset_stats" option?

Regards,
Yann

Re: postgresql.conf runtime statistics default

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Yann Michel wrote:

> To my question: I found the parameter "stats_reset_on_server_start"
> which is set to true by default. Why did you choose this (and not false)
> and what are the impacts of changeing it to false? I mean, as long as I
> understood it, each query or statements generates some statistic data
> which is used by the optimizer (or anything equal) later on. So in my
> oppinion, wouldn't it be better so set this parameter to false and to
> enable a kind of a "startup reset_stats" option?

This is administrator statistics (e.g. number of disk blocks read from
this index) not planner statistics. You're right - it would be foolish
to throw away planner stats.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql.conf runtime statistics default

От
Yann Michel
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 02:11:22PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:

> >To my question: I found the parameter "stats_reset_on_server_start"
> >which is set to true by default. Why did you choose this (and not false)
> >and what are the impacts of changeing it to false? I mean, as long as I
> >understood it, each query or statements generates some statistic data
> >which is used by the optimizer (or anything equal) later on. So in my
> >oppinion, wouldn't it be better so set this parameter to false and to
> >enable a kind of a "startup reset_stats" option?
>
> This is administrator statistics (e.g. number of disk blocks read from
> this index) not planner statistics. You're right - it would be foolish
> to throw away planner stats.

So what is best to set this parameter to and when? As I read this
parameter is documented within the section "16.4.7.2. Query and Index
Statistics Collector" so I guess it is better to set it to false as
described above. Or am I wrong?

Regards,
Yann

Re: postgresql.conf runtime statistics default

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Yann Michel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 02:11:22PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>>>To my question: I found the parameter "stats_reset_on_server_start"
>>>which is set to true by default. Why did you choose this (and not false)
>>>and what are the impacts of changeing it to false? I mean, as long as I
>>>understood it, each query or statements generates some statistic data
>>>which is used by the optimizer (or anything equal) later on. So in my
>>>oppinion, wouldn't it be better so set this parameter to false and to
>>>enable a kind of a "startup reset_stats" option?
>>
>>This is administrator statistics (e.g. number of disk blocks read from
>>this index) not planner statistics. You're right - it would be foolish
>>to throw away planner stats.
>

> So what is best to set this parameter to and when? As I read this
> parameter is documented within the section "16.4.7.2. Query and Index
> Statistics Collector" so I guess it is better to set it to false as
> described above. Or am I wrong?

It depends on whether you want to know how much activity your
tables/indexes have received *ever* or since you last restarted. If you
altered your database schema, added/removed indexes or changed
hardware/configuration then you might want to reset the counts to zero
to more easily see the effect of the new setup.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd