Обсуждение: PGSQL Capacity

PGSQL Capacity

От
bouchia.nazha@free.fr
Дата:
Hello

How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
How many records my table can have ?
I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's possible in a table ?
(My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
Thanks for your response.

Nanou

Re: PGSQL Capacity

От
John A Meinel
Дата:
bouchia.nazha@free.fr wrote:
> Hello
>
> How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
> How many records my table can have ?
> I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's possible in a table ?
> (My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
> Thanks for your response.
>

> Nanou

The capacity for a PG database is just the limit of how much disk space
you have. There are people who have 100 million or even up to a billion
rows in one table. If you are in the billions you have to take some care
about OID wraparound, but at the very least the maximum number of rows
in one table is at least 2Billion.

With 8 string fields and 32 chars each, if they are all filled, you will
take about (32+4)*8 = 324 + overhead bytes each, so I would estimate
about 400 per. If we add a whole lot to be safe, and say 1k per row, you
can fit 1Million rows in 1GB of disk space. There is more taken up by
indexes, etc.

Generally, you are disk limited, not limited by Postgres.

John
=:->

Вложения

Re: PGSQL Capacity

От
"Dave Held"
> How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
> How many records my table can have ?
> I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's
> possible in a table ?
> (My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
> Thanks for your response.

You're basically limited to the size of your hard drive(s).
The actual limit is in the terabyte range.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377
320.534.3637 320.253.7800 800.752.8129

Re: PGSQL Capacity

От
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Дата:
On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:22:40PM +0200, bouchia.nazha@free.fr wrote:
> How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
> How many records my table can have ?
> I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's possible in a table ?
> (My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
> Thanks for your response.

You can have several million records in a table easily -- I've done 10
million personally, but you can find people doing that many records a _day_.
Hitting 1 billion records should probably not be impossible either -- it all
depends on your hardware, and perhaps more importantly, what kind of queries
you're running against it. 50000 is absolutely no problem at all.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: PGSQL Capacity

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
bouchia.nazha@free.fr writes:
> How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
> How many records my table can have ?
> I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's possible in a table ?
> (My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
> Thanks for your response.

The capacity is much more likely to be limited by the size of the disk
drives and filesystems you have available to you than by anything
else.

If your table consists of 8- 32 character strings, then each tuple
will consume around 256 bytes of memory, and you will be able to fit
on the order of 30 tuples into each 8K page.

By default, you can extend a single table file to up to 1GB before it
splits off to another piece.  That would mean each file can have about
3.9M tuples.  From there, you can have as many 1GB pieces as the disk
will support.  So you could have (plenty * 3.9M tuples), which could
add up to be rather large.

If you're expecting 50K records, that will be no big deal at all.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html

Re: PGSQL Capacity

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
http://stats.distributed.net has a table that's 130M rows.
http://stats.distributed.net/participant/phistory.php?project_id=8&id=39622
is a page that hits that table, and as you can see it's quite fast. This
is on a dual opteron with 4G of memory.

Unless you're looking for sub millisecond response times, 50k rows is
nothing.