Обсуждение: Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future? (splitting large Tables)

Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future? (splitting large Tables)

От
"apoc9009@yahoo.de"
Дата:
Hi all,

Ia a Guy from Germany an a strong Postgres believer!
It is the best OpenSource Database i have ever  have bee tasted and i
try to using
it in any Database Environments.

It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and DB/2,
but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

The Tabeles are not verry complex, but it is extremely Large (1 GByte
and above)
and i think Table Partitioning is the right Way to spiltt them off on
some physical
Harddrives. Iam not sure thadt a common Harddrive RAID or SAN Storage
System will do it for me. The ORACLE Table Partitioning Features are verry
usefull but my favorite Datebase is PSQL.

Is there any Plans thadt Postgres will support Partitioning in the near
Future?

Thanks

Re: Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
apoc9009@yahoo.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ia a Guy from Germany an a strong Postgres believer!
> It is the best OpenSource Database i have ever  have bee tasted and i
> try to using
> it in any Database Environments.
>
> It is exiting to see thadt Verison 8.0 has Tablespaces like ORACLE and
> DB/2,
> but i need Partitioning on a few very large Tables.

I believe these are being worked on at the moment. You might want to
search the archives of the hackers mailing list to see if the plans will
suit your needs.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
"apoc9009@yahoo.de"
Дата:
Hmm,

I have asked some Peoples on the List an some one has posted this links

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-12/msg00101.php

It is quite usefull to read but iam not sure thadt theese Trick is verry
helpfull.

I want to splitt my 1GByte Table into some little Partitions but how
should i do thadt?
With the ORACLE Partitioning Option, i can Configurering my Table withe
Enterprise
Manager or SQL Plus but in this case it looks like Trap.

Should i really decrease my Tabledata size  and spread them to other
Tables with the
same Structure by limiting Records???

The next Problem i see, how should i do a Insert/Update/Delete on 4
Tables of the
same Structure at one Query???

No missunderstanding. We talking not about normalization or
restructuring the Colums
of a table. We talking about Partitioning and in this case at Postgres
(emultation
of Partitioning wir UNIONS for Performance tuning)..

Josh

Re: Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
apoc9009@yahoo.de wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> I have asked some Peoples on the List an some one has posted this links
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-12/msg00101.php
>
> It is quite usefull to read but iam not sure thadt theese Trick is verry
> helpfull.
>
> I want to splitt my 1GByte Table into some little Partitions but how
> should i do thadt?
> With the ORACLE Partitioning Option, i can Configurering my Table withe
> Enterprise
> Manager or SQL Plus but in this case it looks like Trap.
>
> Should i really decrease my Tabledata size  and spread them to other
> Tables with the
> same Structure by limiting Records???
>
> The next Problem i see, how should i do a Insert/Update/Delete on 4
> Tables of the
> same Structure at one Query???
>
> No missunderstanding. We talking not about normalization or
> restructuring the Colums
> of a table. We talking about Partitioning and in this case at Postgres
> (emultation
> of Partitioning wir UNIONS for Performance tuning)..

 From your description I don't see evidence that you should need to
partition your table at all. A 1GB table is very common for pgsql. Spend
some hard disks on your storage subsystem and you'll gain the
performance you want, without trouble on the SQL side. For specific
requirements, you might see improvements from partial indexes.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Table Partitioning: Will it be supported in Future?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Richard,

> I believe these are being worked on at the moment. You might want to
> search the archives of the hackers mailing list to see if the plans will
> suit your needs.

Actually, this is being discussed through the Bizgres project:
www.bizgres.org.

However, I agree that a 1GB table is not in need of partitioning.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions