Обсуждение: Server crashing

Server crashing

От
Don Drake
Дата:
My server is crashing on a delete statement.

Here's the error message in the log file:

LOCATION:  ShutdownXLOG, xlog.c:3090
LOG:  00000: database system is shut down
LOCATION:  ShutdownXLOG, xlog.c:3104
LOG:  00000: database system was shut down at 2005-04-10 21:54:34 CDT
LOCATION:  StartupXLOG, xlog.c:2596
LOG:  00000: checkpoint record is at C/665D45E0
LOCATION:  StartupXLOG, xlog.c:2628
LOG:  00000: redo record is at C/665D45E0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOCATION:  StartupXLOG, xlog.c:2653
LOG:  00000: next transaction ID: 109177; next OID: 92547340
LOCATION:  StartupXLOG, xlog.c:2656
LOG:  00000: database system is ready
LOCATION:  StartupXLOG, xlog.c:2946
LOG:  00000: recycled transaction log file "0000000C00000063"
LOCATION:  MoveOfflineLogs, xlog.c:1656
LOG:  00000: recycled transaction log file "0000000C00000064"
LOCATION:  MoveOfflineLogs, xlog.c:1656
LOG:  00000: recycled transaction log file "0000000C00000065"
LOCATION:  MoveOfflineLogs, xlog.c:1656
WARNING:  25P01: there is no transaction in progress
LOCATION:  EndTransactionBlock, xact.c:1607
WARNING:  25P01: there is no transaction in progress
LOCATION:  EndTransactionBlock, xact.c:1607
ERROR:  42601: syntax error at end of input at character 77
LOCATION:  yyerror, scan.l:565
WARNING:  25P01: there is no transaction in progress
LOCATION:  EndTransactionBlock, xact.c:1607
ERROR:  42601: syntax error at end of input at character 77
LOCATION:  yyerror, scan.l:565
WARNING:  25P01: there is no transaction in progress
LOCATION:  EndTransactionBlock, xact.c:1607
WARNING:  25001: there is already a transaction in progress
LOCATION:  BeginTransactionBlock, xact.c:1545
ERROR:  42601: syntax error at end of input at character 77
LOCATION:  yyerror, scan.l:565
WARNING:  25001: there is already a transaction in progress
LOCATION:  BeginTransactionBlock, xact.c:1545
ERROR:  42601: syntax error at end of input at character 77
LOCATION:  yyerror, scan.l:565
LOG:  00000: received fast shutdown request
LOCATION:  pmdie, postmaster.c:1736
LOG:  00000: aborting any active transactions
LOCATION:  pmdie, postmaster.c:1743
FATAL:  57P01: terminating connection due to administrator command
LOCATION:  ProcessInterrupts, postgres.c:1955
FATAL:  57P01: terminating connection due to administrator command
LOCATION:  ProcessInterrupts, postgres.c:1955
FATAL:  57P01: terminating connection due to administrator command
LOCATION:  ProcessInterrupts, postgres.c:1955
FATAL:  57P01: terminating connection due to administrator command
LOCATION:  ProcessInterrupts, postgres.c:1955
LOG:  00000: shutting down
LOCATION:  ShutdownXLOG, xlog.c:3090
LOG:  00000: database system is shut down
LOCATION:  ShutdownXLOG, xlog.c:3104

I just turned off SQL command logging, stopped and started the process
and now this command which worked just fine before is causing the DB
to crash.  I'm running Postgres 7.4.7 on Solaris 9 with PostGIS 0.9.1.

The data I'm deleting is the parent table with many inherited child tables.

Any ideas?

-Don
--
Donald Drake
President

Re: Server crashing

Дата:
Don Drake <dondrake@gmail.com> writes:
> My server is crashing on a delete statement.
> Here's the error message in the log file:

> LOG:  00000: received fast shutdown request
> LOCATION:  pmdie, postmaster.c:1736

That says that something sent the postmaster a SIGINT signal.
I think it's highly unlikely that the DELETE statement did it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Server crashing

От
Don Drake
Дата:
Well, a vacuum on the entire DB seemed to have cleaned things up.

No other user was logged into the server, and I certainly did not send
the signal.

I did clean up the serverlog file by truncating it ( > serverlog)
while the DB was running, I don't think it liked that since it crashed
the DB.   I've done this on my Linux server many times and it never
complained.  I won't be doing that again.

-Don

On Apr 11, 2005 1:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Don Drake <dondrake@gmail.com> writes:
> > My server is crashing on a delete statement.
> > Here's the error message in the log file:
>
> > LOG:  00000: received fast shutdown request
> > LOCATION:  pmdie, postmaster.c:1736
>
> That says that something sent the postmaster a SIGINT signal.
> I think it's highly unlikely that the DELETE statement did it.

Donald Drake
President
Drake Consulting
http://www.drakeconsult.com/
http://www.MailLaunder.com/
http://www.mobilemeridian.com/
312-560-1574

Re: Server crashing

От
Gourish Singbal
Дата:
by Truncating the serverlog do you mean the data_log (as in my case)
log file of the postgresql sever ?. If thats the file you truncated
than i think its not a good habit..since you might need it at some
point of time for some debugging purpose in production.

You could use something like assuming there is a dummy file of 0 bytes
in logs folder..

cp data_log data_log_$current_time
cat logs/dummy_file>data_log
gzip data_log_$current_time
mv data_log_$current_time.gz logs/data_log_$current_time.gz

Hope this helps

Best
Gourish Singbal

On Apr 11, 2005 7:54 PM, Don Drake <dondrake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, a vacuum on the entire DB seemed to have cleaned things up.
>
> No other user was logged into the server, and I certainly did not send
> the signal.
>
> I did clean up the serverlog file by truncating it ( > serverlog)
> while the DB was running, I don't think it liked that since it crashed
> the DB.   I've done this on my Linux server many times and it never
> complained.  I won't be doing that again.
>
> -Don
>
> On Apr 11, 2005 1:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Don Drake <dondrake@gmail.com> writes:
> > > My server is crashing on a delete statement.
> > > Here's the error message in the log file:
> >
> > > LOG:  00000: received fast shutdown request
> > > LOCATION:  pmdie, postmaster.c:1736
> >
> > That says that something sent the postmaster a SIGINT signal.
> > I think it's highly unlikely that the DELETE statement did it.
> >
> >                         regards, tom lane
> >

> --
> Donald Drake
> President