Обсуждение: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От
"Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)"

I've downloaded the latest release (PostgreSQL 8.0) for windows.
Installation was OK, but I have tried to restore a database.
It had more than ~100.000 records. Usually I use PostgreSQL
under Linux, and it used to be done under 10 minutes.

Under W2k und XP it took 3 hours(!) Why is it so slow????

The commands I used:

Under Linux: (duration: 1 minute)
    pg_dump -D databasename > databasename.db

Under Windows: (duration: 3 - 3.5 hours(!))
    psql databasename < databasename.db >nul

It seemed to me, that only 20-30 transactions/sec were
writen to the database.

I need to write scripts for automatic (sheduled) database
backup and recovery.

Help anyone?

Bye,

Vig Sándor

computer.

computer.

Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От
Mitch Pirtle
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:00:59 +0100, Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)
<Sandor.Vig@audi.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded the latest release (PostgreSQL 8.0) for windows.
> Installation was OK, but I have tried to restore a database.
> It had more than ~100.000 records. Usually I use PostgreSQL
> under Linux, and it used to be done under 10 minutes.
>
> Under W2k und XP it took 3 hours(!) Why is it so slow????

Can you tell us your postgresql.conf configuration settings? We cannot
help without some information about your environment...

-- Mitch

Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>I've downloaded the latest release (PostgreSQL 8.0) for windows.
>Installation was OK, but I have tried to restore a database.
>It had more than ~100.000 records. Usually I use PostgreSQL
>under Linux, and it used to be done under 10 minutes.
>
>Under W2k und XP it took 3 hours(!) Why is it so slow????
>
>The commands I used:
>
>Under Linux: (duration: 1 minute)
>    pg_dump -D databasename > databasename.db
>
>Under Windows: (duration: 3 - 3.5 hours(!))
>    psql databasename < databasename.db >nul
>
>It seemed to me, that only 20-30 transactions/sec were
>writen to the database.

20-30 transactionsi s about what you'll get on a single disk on Windows
today.
We have a patch in testing that will bring this up to about 80.
You can *never* get above 80 without using write cache, regardless of
your OS, if you have a single disk. You might want to look into wether
write cacheing is enabled on your linux box, and disable it. (unless you
are using RAID) A lot points towards write cache enabled on your system.

If you need the performance that equals the one with write cache on, you
can set fsync=off. But then you will lose the guarantee that your
machine will survive an unclean shutdown or crash. I would strongly
advice against it on a production system - same goes for running with
write cache!

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> You can *never* get above 80 without using write cache, regardless of
> your OS, if you have a single disk.

Why? Even with, say, a 15K RPM disk? Or the ability to fsync() multiple
concurrently-committing transactions at once?

-Neil

Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От
Markus Schaber
Дата:
Hi, Magnus & all,

Magnus Hagander schrieb:
> 20-30 transactionsi s about what you'll get on a single disk on Windows
> today.
> We have a patch in testing that will bring this up to about 80.
> You can *never* get above 80 without using write cache, regardless of
> your OS, if you have a single disk. You might want to look into wether
> write cacheing is enabled on your linux box, and disable it. (unless you
> are using RAID) A lot points towards write cache enabled on your system.

Note that you can get higher rates for the server as a whole when using
concurrent transactions (that is, several independend connections
committing at the same time). The commit delay settings should be tuned
accordingly.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich

Вложения