Обсуждение: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
Hey people, long while since I posted here, but I'm having an index
issue that looks on the surface to be a little strange.

I have a text field that I'm trying to query on in a table with
millions of rows.  Stupid I know, but a fairly common stupid thing to
try to do.

For some reason it's a requirement that partial wildcard searches are
done on this field, such as "SELECT ... WHERE field LIKE 'A%'"

I thought an interesting way to do this would be to simply create
partial indexes for each letter on that field, and it works when the
query matches the WHERE clause in the index exactly like above.  The
problem is thus:

Say I have an index.. CREATE INDEX column_idx_a ON table (column)
WHERE column LIKE 'A%'

It seems to me that a query saying "SELECT column FROM table WHERE
column LIKE 'AA%';" should be just as fast or very close to the first
case up above.  However, explain tells me that this query is not using
the index above, which is what's not making sense to me.

Does the planner not realize that 'AA%' will always fall between 'A%'
and 'B', and thus that using the index would be the best way to go, or
am I missing something else that's preventing this from working?

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
"Matt Clark"
Дата:
> For some reason it's a requirement that partial wildcard
> searches are done on this field, such as "SELECT ... WHERE
> field LIKE 'A%'"
>
> I thought an interesting way to do this would be to simply
> create partial indexes for each letter on that field, and it
> works when the query matches the WHERE clause in the index
> exactly like above.  The problem is thus:

I thought PG could use an ordinary index for 'like' conditions with just a
terminating '%'?

My other thought is that like 'A%' should grab about 1/26th of the table
anyway (if the initial character distribution is random), and so a
sequential scan might be the best plan anyway...

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> It seems to me that a query saying "SELECT column FROM table WHERE
> column LIKE 'AA%';" should be just as fast or very close to the first
> case up above.  However, explain tells me that this query is not using
> the index above, which is what's not making sense to me.

It looks for an exact expression match, and doesn't know about values
which are equal.

You can provide both clauses.

WHERE column LIKE 'A%' and column LIKE 'AA%';

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:07:38 -0500, Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> wrote:
> > It seems to me that a query saying "SELECT column FROM table WHERE
> > column LIKE 'AA%';" should be just as fast or very close to the first
> > case up above.  However, explain tells me that this query is not using
> > the index above, which is what's not making sense to me.
>
> It looks for an exact expression match, and doesn't know about values
> which are equal.
>
> You can provide both clauses.
>
> WHERE column LIKE 'A%' and column LIKE 'AA%';

I see.  That's not really optimal either however as you can probably
see already.. adding AB, AC, AD...AZ is likely to be pretty bogus and
at the least is time consuming.

Matt Clark was right that it will use a standard index, which is in
fact what it's doing right now in the "SELECT column WHERE column LIKE
'AA%';" case.. however as I said, the table has millions of rows --
currently about 76 million, so even a full index scan is fairly slow.

The machine isn't all that hot performance wise either, a simple dual
800 P3 with a single 47GB Seagate SCSI.  The only redeeming factor is
that it has 2GB of memory, which I'm trying to make the most of with
these indexes.

So assuming this partial index situation isn't going to change (it
seems like it would be a fairly simple fix for someone that knows the
pg code however) I'm wondering if a subselect may speed things up any,
so I'm going to investigate that next.

Perhaps.. SELECT column FROM (SELECT column FROM table WHERE column
LIKE 'A%') AS sq WHERE column LIKE 'AA%';

The query planner thinks this will be pretty fast indeed, and does use
the index I am after.

OS is, of course, FreeBSD.

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:32:43 -0500, Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:07:38 -0500, Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> wrote:
>

> > > It seems to me that a query saying "SELECT column FROM table WHERE
> > > column LIKE 'AA%';" should be just as fast or very close to the first
> > > case up above.  However, explain tells me that this query is not using
> > > the index above, which is what's not making sense to me.
> >
> > It looks for an exact expression match, and doesn't know about values
> > which are equal.
> >
> > You can provide both clauses.
> >
> > WHERE column LIKE 'A%' and column LIKE 'AA%';
>
> I see.  That's not really optimal either however as you can probably
> see already.. adding AB, AC, AD...AZ is likely to be pretty bogus and
> at the least is time consuming.

I see now that you mean to add that to the SELECT clause and not the
index, my mistake.

> Perhaps.. SELECT column FROM (SELECT column FROM table WHERE column
> LIKE 'A%') AS sq WHERE column LIKE 'AA%';
>
> The query planner thinks this will be pretty fast indeed, and does use
> the index I am after.

This was indeed pretty fast.  About 7 seconds, as was modifying the
WHERE as suggested above.

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:39:16 -0500,
  Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason it's a requirement that partial wildcard searches are
> done on this field, such as "SELECT ... WHERE field LIKE 'A%'"
>
> I thought an interesting way to do this would be to simply create
> partial indexes for each letter on that field, and it works when the
> query matches the WHERE clause in the index exactly like above.  The
> problem is thus:

That may not help much except for prefixes that have a below average
number of occurences. If you are going to be select 1/26 of the records,
you are probably going to do about as well with a sequential scan as an
index scan.

Just having a normal index on the column will work if the database locale
is C. In 7.4 you can create an index usable by LIKE even in the database
locale isn't C, but I don't remember the exact syntax. You will be better
off having just one index rather than 26 partial indexes.

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:51:59 -0600, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:39:16 -0500,
>  Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For some reason it's a requirement that partial wildcard searches are
> > done on this field, such as "SELECT ... WHERE field LIKE 'A%'"
> >
> > I thought an interesting way to do this would be to simply create
> > partial indexes for each letter on that field, and it works when the
> > query matches the WHERE clause in the index exactly like above.  The
> > problem is thus:
>
> That may not help much except for prefixes that have a below average
> number of occurences. If you are going to be select 1/26 of the records,
> you are probably going to do about as well with a sequential scan as an
> index scan.

The thing isn't that I want 1/26th of the records since the
distribution is not exactly equal among different letters, but more
importantly, there are about 76million rows currently, and for some
reason I am being told by the people with the pointy hair that a query
like "select foo,bar from table where foo like 'abc%';" is not an
uncommon type of query to run.  I don't know why it's common and to be
honest, I'm afraid to ask. ;)

With that many rows, and a normal index on the field, postgres figures
the best option for say "I%" is not an index scan, but a sequential
scan on the table, with a filter -- quite obviously this is slow as
heck, and yes, I've run analyze several times and in fact have the
vacuum analyze automated.

With the partial index the index scan is used and the cost drops from
0..2million to 0..9000 -- a vast improvement.

So I'm going to go with the partial indexes, and have a total of 36 of
them -- A-Z and 0-9.

> Just having a normal index on the column will work if the database locale
> is C. In 7.4 you can create an index usable by LIKE even in the database
> locale isn't C, but I don't remember the exact syntax. You will be better
> off having just one index rather than 26 partial indexes.

I haven't written a line of C in years, and it was never my strong
suit, so despite all my years doing development and sysadminning, the
locale stuff is still something of a mystery to me.

The locale though is C, the default, and will for the time being at
least be storing only ascii strings -- no unicode, other character
sets, or anything funky like that.

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
"Matt Clark"
Дата:
> With that many rows, and a normal index on the field,
> postgres figures the best option for say "I%" is not an index
> scan, but a sequential scan on the table, with a filter --
> quite obviously this is slow as heck, and yes, I've run
> analyze several times and in fact have the vacuum analyze automated.

Ah, so "like 'I%'" uses a very slow seq scan, but "like 'ABC%'" uses an
ordinary index OK?  If so then...

The planner would usually assume (from what Tom usually says) that 1/26
selectivity isn't worth doing an index scan for, but in your case it's wrong
(maybe because the rows are very big?)

You may be able to get the planner to go for an index scan on "like 'I%'" by
tweaking the foo_cost variables in postgresql.conf

Or you could have the app rewrite "like 'I%'" to "like 'IA%' or like 'IB%'
... ", or do that as a stored proc.

> With the partial index the index scan is used and the cost
> drops from 0..2million to 0..9000 -- a vast improvement.

So there are really only 9000 rows out of 76 million starting with 'I'?  How
about combining some techniques - you could create an index on the first two
chars of the field (should be selective enough to give an index scan),
select from that, and select the actual data with the like clause.

CREATE INDEX idx_firstletters ON table (substr(field, 1, 2));
CREATE INDEX idx_all ON table (field);
SELECT field FROM (SELECT field FROM table WHERE substr(field, 1, 2) = 'DE')
AS approx WHERE field LIKE 'DE%';

Any good?

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Дата:
Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> With that many rows, and a normal index on the field, postgres figures
> the best option for say "I%" is not an index scan, but a sequential
> scan on the table, with a filter -- quite obviously this is slow as
> heck, and yes, I've run analyze several times and in fact have the
> vacuum analyze automated.
> With the partial index the index scan is used and the cost drops from
> 0..2million to 0..9000 -- a vast improvement.

Hmm.  This suggests to me that you're using a non-C locale and so a
plain index *can't* be used for a LIKE query.  Can you force it to use
an indexscan by setting enable_seqscan = false?  If not then you've got
a locale problem.  As someone else pointed out, this can be worked
around by creating an index with the right operator class.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:57:40 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> > With that many rows, and a normal index on the field, postgres figures
> > the best option for say "I%" is not an index scan, but a sequential
> > scan on the table, with a filter -- quite obviously this is slow as
> > heck, and yes, I've run analyze several times and in fact have the
> > vacuum analyze automated.
> > With the partial index the index scan is used and the cost drops from
> > 0..2million to 0..9000 -- a vast improvement.
>
> Hmm.  This suggests to me that you're using a non-C locale and so a
> plain index *can't* be used for a LIKE query.  Can you force it to use
> an indexscan by setting enable_seqscan = false?  If not then you've got
> a locale problem.  As someone else pointed out, this can be worked
> around by creating an index with the right operator class.

Tom, disabling seqscan does cause it to use the index.

With seqscan enabled however, "AB%" will use the index, but "A%" will not.

The estimated cost for the query is much higher without the partial
indexes than it is with them, and the actual runtime of the query is
definitely longer without the partial indexes.

The locale is set in the postgresql.conf file as per default, with..

# These settings are initialized by initdb -- they may be changed
lc_messages = 'C'               # locale for system error message strings
lc_monetary = 'C'               # locale for monetary formatting
lc_numeric = 'C'                # locale for number formatting
lc_time = 'C'                   # locale for time formatting

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:34:23 -0000, Matt Clark <matt@ymogen.net> wrote:
> > With that many rows, and a normal index on the field,
> > postgres figures the best option for say "I%" is not an index
> > scan, but a sequential scan on the table, with a filter --
> > quite obviously this is slow as heck, and yes, I've run
> > analyze several times and in fact have the vacuum analyze automated.
>
> Ah, so "like 'I%'" uses a very slow seq scan, but "like 'ABC%'" uses an
> ordinary index OK?  If so then...

That is correct.

> The planner would usually assume (from what Tom usually says) that 1/26
> selectivity isn't worth doing an index scan for, but in your case it's wrong
> (maybe because the rows are very big?)

The rows aren't big, it's a text field, a few ints, and a few
timestamps.  That's all.  The text field is the one we're querying on
here and lengthwise it's typically not over 32 chars.

> You may be able to get the planner to go for an index scan on "like 'I%'" by
> tweaking the foo_cost variables in postgresql.conf

That's true but I'd rather not, there are times when the seqscan will
have a faster net result (for other queries) and I'd rather not have
them suffer.

> Or you could have the app rewrite "like 'I%'" to "like 'IA%' or like 'IB%'
> ... ", or do that as a stored proc.

Holy cow.  Yeah that seems a little outrageous.  It would be cleaner
looking in "\d table" than having all these indexes at the cost of
having one very ugly query.

> > With the partial index the index scan is used and the cost
> > drops from 0..2million to 0..9000 -- a vast improvement.
>
> So there are really only 9000 rows out of 76 million starting with 'I'?  How
> about combining some techniques - you could create an index on the first two
> chars of the field (should be selective enough to give an index scan),
> select from that, and select the actual data with the like clause.

I was talking about the cost, not the number of rows.  About 74,000
rows are returned but the query only takes about 8 seconds to run. --
with the partial index in place.

> CREATE INDEX idx_firstletters ON table (substr(field, 1, 2));
> CREATE INDEX idx_all ON table (field);
> SELECT field FROM (SELECT field FROM table WHERE substr(field, 1, 2) = 'DE')
> AS approx WHERE field LIKE 'DE%';

That looks like a pretty slick way to create an index, I didn't know
there was such a way to do it.. but It appears that this will not work
with queries where the WHERE clause wants to find substrings longer
than 2 characters.

I will give it a try and see how it goes though I think I'm fairly
"settled" on creating all the other indexes, unless there is some
specific reason I shouldn't -- they are used in all cases where the
substring is >= 1 character, so long as I make sure the first where
clause (or inner select in a subquery) is the most ambiguous from an
index standpoint.

Going back to the initial problem -- having only one large, complete
index on the table (no partial indexes) the query "SELECT field FROM
table WHERE field LIKE 'A%';" does not use the index.  The query
"SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'AB%';" however, does use
the single large index if it exists.

Adding the partial index "CREATE INDEX idx_table_substrfield_A ON
table (field) WHERE field LIKE 'A%';" causes all queries with
substrings of any length to do index scans.provided I issue the query
as:

SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'A%' AND field LIKE 'AB%';
 -- or even --
SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'A%';

The latter query, without the partial index described, does a
sequential scan on the table itself instead of an index scan.

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Дата:
Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> With seqscan enabled however, "AB%" will use the index, but "A%" will not.

> The estimated cost for the query is much higher without the partial
> indexes than it is with them, and the actual runtime of the query is
> definitely longer without the partial indexes.

OK.  This suggests that the planner is drastically misestimating
the selectivity of the 'A%' clause, which seems odd to me since in
principle it could get that fairly well from the ANALYZE histogram.
But it could well be that you need to increase the resolution of the
histogram --- see ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS.

Did you ever show us EXPLAIN ANALYZE results for this query?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:08:56 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> > With seqscan enabled however, "AB%" will use the index, but "A%" will not.
>
> > The estimated cost for the query is much higher without the partial
> > indexes than it is with them, and the actual runtime of the query is
> > definitely longer without the partial indexes.
>
> OK.  This suggests that the planner is drastically misestimating
> the selectivity of the 'A%' clause, which seems odd to me since in
> principle it could get that fairly well from the ANALYZE histogram.
> But it could well be that you need to increase the resolution of the
> histogram --- see ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS.

I will look into this.

> Did you ever show us EXPLAIN ANALYZE results for this query?

No, I didn't.  I am running it now without the partial index on to
give you the results but it's (the 'A%' problem query) been running
pretty much since I got this message (an hour ago) and is still not
finished.

The EXPLAIN results without the ANALYZE will have to suffice until
it's done, I can readd the index, and run it again, so you have both
to compare to.

First two queries run where both the main index, and the 'A%' index exist:

-- QUERY 1
search=# explain
search-# SELECT test_name FROM test WHERE test_name LIKE 'A%';
                                       QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using test_name_idx_a on "test"  (cost=0.00..8605.88
rows=391208 width=20)
  Index Cond: ((test_name >= 'A'::text) AND (test_name < 'B'::text))
  Filter: (test_name ~~ 'A%'::text)
(3 rows)

Time: 16.507 ms

-- QUERY 2
search=# explain
search-# SELECT test_name FROM test WHERE test_name LIKE 'A%' AND
test_name LIKE 'AB%';
                                                              QUERY
PLAN

Index Scan using test_name_idx_a on "test"  (cost=0.00..113.79
rows=28 width=20)
  Index Cond: ((test_name >= 'A'::text) AND (test_name < 'B'::text)
AND (test_name >= 'AB'::text) AND (test_name < 'AC'::text))
  Filter: ((test_name ~~ 'A%'::text) AND (test_name ~~ 'AB%'::text))
(3 rows)

Time: 3.197 ms

Ok, now the same two queries after a DROP INDEX test_name_idx_a;

search=# explain
search-# SELECT test_name FROM test WHERE test_name LIKE 'A%';
                                         QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using test_name_unique on "test"  (cost=0.00..1568918.66
rows=391208 width=20)
  Index Cond: ((test_name >= 'A'::text) AND (test_name < 'B'::text))
  Filter: (test_name ~~ 'A%'::text)
(3 rows)

Time: 2.470 ms

search=# explain
search-# SELECT test_name FROM test WHERE test_name LIKE 'AB%';
                                       QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using test_name_unique on "test"  (cost=0.00..20379.49
rows=5081 width=20)
  Index Cond: ((test_name >= 'AB'::text) AND (test_name < 'AC'::text))
  Filter: (test_name ~~ 'AB%'::text)
(3 rows)

Time: 2.489 ms

------------------
Copying just the costs you can see the vast difference...
Index Scan using test_name_unique on "test"  (cost=0.00..1568918.66
rows=391208 width=20)
Index Scan using test_name_unique on "test"  (cost=0.00..20379.49
rows=5081 width=20)

vs

Index Scan using test_name_idx_a on "test"  (cost=0.00..8605.88
rows=391208 width=20)
Index Scan using test_name_idx_a on "test"  (cost=0.00..113.79
rows=28 width=20)

Lastly no, neither of these row guesstimates is correct..  I'll get
back and tell you how much they're off by if it's important, once this
query is done.

The odd thing is it used the index scan here each time -- that has not
always been the case with the main unique index, it's trying to make a
liar out of me heh.

I'm used to the estimates and plan changing from one vacuum analyze to
the next, even without any inserts or updates between.. the index scan
is always used however when I have the partial indexes in place, and
something like..

CREATE TEMP TABLE t1 AS
 SELECT field FROM table
 WHERE field LIKE 'A%'
 AND field LIKE 'AA%';

runs in 6-8 seconds as well, with a bit under 100k records.

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Matt Clark
Дата:
>>So there are really only 9000 rows out of 76 million starting with 'I'?  How
>>about combining some techniques - you could create an index on the first two
>>chars of the field (should be selective enough to give an index scan),
>>select from that, and select the actual data with the like clause.
>>

>I was talking about the cost, not the number of rows.  About 74,000
>rows are returned but the query only takes about 8 seconds to run. --

Well, 74000/76000000 ~= 0.1%, way less than 1/26, so no surprise that an
indexscan is better, and also no surprise that the planner can't know
that I is such an uncommon initial char.

>with the partial index in place.
>

>>CREATE INDEX idx_firstletters ON table (substr(field, 1, 2));
>>CREATE INDEX idx_all ON table (field);
>>SELECT field FROM (SELECT field FROM table WHERE substr(field, 1, 2) = 'DE')
>>AS approx WHERE field LIKE 'DE%';
>>

>That looks like a pretty slick way to create an index, I didn't know
>there was such a way to do it.. but It appears that this will not work
>with queries where the WHERE clause wants to find substrings longer
>than 2 characters.

I don't see why not, it just uses the functional index to grap the
1/(ascii_chars^2) of the rows that are of obvious interest, and then
uses the standard index to filter that set..  Where it won't work is
where you just want one initial char!  Which is why I suggested the
silly query rewrite...

>Going back to the initial problem -- having only one large, complete
>index on the table (no partial indexes) the query "SELECT field FROM
>table WHERE field LIKE 'A%';" does not use the index.  The query
>"SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'AB%';" however, does use
>the single large index if it exists.

If you were planning the query, what would you do?  Assuming we're
talking about A-Z as possible first chars, and assuming we don't know
the distribution of those chars, then we have to assume 1/26 probability
of each char, so a seq scan makes sense.  Whereas like 'JK%' should only
pull 1/500 rows.

>Adding the partial index "CREATE INDEX idx_table_substrfield_A ON
>table (field) WHERE field LIKE 'A%';" causes all queries with
>substrings of any length to do index scans.provided I issue the query
>as:
>
>SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'A%' AND field LIKE 'AB%';
> -- or even --
>SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'A%';
>
>The latter query, without the partial index described, does a
>sequential scan on the table itself instead of an index scan.

Yes, because (I assume, Tom will no doubt clarify/correct), by creating
the partial indices you create a lot more information about the
distribution of the first char - either that, or the planner simply
always uses an exactly matching partial index if available.

I _think_ that creating 26 partial indexes on '?%' is essentially the
same thing as creating one functional index on substr(field,1,1), just
messier, unless the partial indexes cause the planner to do something
special...

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Дата:
Matt Clark <matt@ymogen.net> writes:
> Well, 74000/76000000 ~= 0.1%, way less than 1/26, so no surprise that an
> indexscan is better, and also no surprise that the planner can't know
> that I is such an uncommon initial char.

But it *can* know that, at least given adequate ANALYZE statistics.
I'm pretty convinced that the basic answer to Allen's problem is to
increase the histogram size.  How large he needs to make it is not
clear --- obviously his data distribution is not uniform, but I don't
have a fix on how badly non-uniform.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:04:23 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Matt Clark <matt@ymogen.net> writes:
> > Well, 74000/76000000 ~= 0.1%, way less than 1/26, so no surprise that an
> > indexscan is better, and also no surprise that the planner can't know
> > that I is such an uncommon initial char.
>
> But it *can* know that, at least given adequate ANALYZE statistics.
> I'm pretty convinced that the basic answer to Allen's problem is to
> increase the histogram size.  How large he needs to make it is not
> clear --- obviously his data distribution is not uniform, but I don't
> have a fix on how badly non-uniform.

Tom just an update, it's now 2am.. several hours since I started that
EXPLAIN ANALYZE and it still hasn't finished, so I've aborted it.  I
will do the example with the more precise substring instead to
illustrate the performance differences, both with and without the
substring index and report back here.

I'm also interested in something someone else posted, namely that the
36 indexes I have, "A%" through "Z%" and "0%" through "9%" could be
replaced with a single index like:

"CREATE INDEX idx_table_field_substr ON table substr(field, 1, 1);"

I'm wondering, histogram and other information aside, will this
function as well (or better) than creating all the individual indexes?

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
Ok, you thought maybe this thread died or got abandoned in the face of
all the senseless trolling and spam going on.. you were wrong.. ;)

I thought though I'd start over trying to explain what's going on.
I've gone through some dumps, and recreation of the database with some
different filesystem options and whatnot, and starting over fresh
here's the situation.

First, the structure.

CREATE TABLE testtable (
  nid serial UNIQUE NOT NULL,
  sname text NOT NULL,
  iother int4
);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX idx_sname_unique ON testtable (sname);

-----

With the above, the query "SELECT sname FROM testtable WHERE sname
LIKE 'A%';" DOES use an index scan on idx_sname_unique -- sometimes.
Other times, the planner thinks a sequential scan would be better.

The index is large.  There are over 70 million rows in this table.
The estimated cost and so forth from EXPLAIN on the above query is way
off as well, but I expect that to be the case considering the size of
the table -- perhaps there is a tunable in the statistics gathering
backend ot fix this?

My goal was to obviously make queries of the above type, as well as
more refined ones such as "... LIKE 'AB%';" faster.

This goal in mind, I thought that creating several indexes (36 of
them) would speed things up -- one index per alphanumeric start
character, via..

CREATE INDEX idx_sname_suba ON testtable (sname) WHERE sname LIKE 'A%';
CREATE INDEX idx_sname_subb ON testtable (sname) WHERE sname LIKE 'B%';
CREATE INDEX idx_sname_subz ON testtable (sname) WHERE sname LIKE 'Z%';

(also including 0..9)

I've wracked my brain trying to come up with other ways of doing this,
including partitioning the table, and trying the suggestions here such
as "substr(1,1)" in the index creation instead of creating many
distinct indexes.

None of these seems to speed up the queries enough to make them
"acceptable" when it comes to runtimes.  My data from before was
somehow in error.. not sure why.  At this point, using one index vs.
the other the runtimes are about the same.

search=# explain analyze
search-# SELECT sname FROM
search-# (SELECT sname FROM testtable WHERE sname LIKE 'A%') AS subq
search-# WHERE sname LIKE 'AA%';
                                                               QUERY
PLAN

 Index Scan using sname_a on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..189.41 rows=47
width=20) (actual time=16.219..547053.251 rows=74612 loops=1)
   Index Cond: ((sname >= 'A'::text) AND (sname < 'B'::text) AND
(sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
   Filter: ((sname ~~ 'A%'::text) AND (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text))
 Total runtime: 547454.939 ms
(4 rows)

Time: 547458.216 ms

search=# explain analyze
search-# SELECT sname FROM testtable WHERE sname LIKE 'AA%';

QUERY PLAN

 Index Scan using sname_unique on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..34453.74
rows=8620 width=20) (actual time=77.004..537065.079 rows=74612
loops=1)
   Index Cond: ((sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
   Filter: (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text)
 Total runtime: 537477.737 ms
(4 rows)

Time: 537480.571 ms

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Allen,

> Ok, you thought maybe this thread died or got abandoned in the face of
> all the senseless trolling and spam going on.. you were wrong.. ;)
>
> I thought though I'd start over trying to explain what's going on.
> I've gone through some dumps, and recreation of the database with some
> different filesystem options and whatnot, and starting over fresh
> here's the situation.

I can't find the beginning of this thread.  What's your sort_mem?
Shared_buffers?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:52:43 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Allen,
>
> > Ok, you thought maybe this thread died or got abandoned in the face of
> > all the senseless trolling and spam going on.. you were wrong.. ;)
> >
> > I thought though I'd start over trying to explain what's going on.
> > I've gone through some dumps, and recreation of the database with some
> > different filesystem options and whatnot, and starting over fresh
> > here's the situation.
>
> I can't find the beginning of this thread.  What's your sort_mem?
> Shared_buffers?

Currently sort_mem is 64MB and shared_buffers is 256MB.

The box is a dual 800 with 2GB physical, running FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE,
single U2W SCSI hdd.

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:

> QUERY PLAN

>  Index Scan using sname_unique on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..34453.74
> rows=8620 width=20) (actual time=77.004..537065.079 rows=74612
> loops=1)
>    Index Cond: ((sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
>    Filter: (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text)
>  Total runtime: 537477.737 ms
> (4 rows)
>
> Time: 537480.571 ms

Nothing you're going to do to the query is going to come up with a more
effective plan than this. It's using the index after all. It's never going to
be lightning fast because it has to process 75k rows.

However 75k rows shouldn't be taking nearly 10 minutes. It should be taking
about 10 seconds.

The 77ms before finding the first record is a bit suspicious. Have you
vacuumed this table regularly? Try a VACUUM FULL VERBOSE, and send the
results. You might try to REINDEX it as well, though I doubt that would help.

Actually you might consider clustering the table on sname_unique. That would
accomplish the same thing as the VACUUM FULL command and also speed up the
index scan. And the optimizer knows (if you analyze afterwards) it so it
should be more likely to pick the index scan. But currently you have to rerun
cluster periodically.

--
greg

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On 11 Nov 2004 15:49:46 -0500, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > QUERY PLAN

> >  Index Scan using sname_unique on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..34453.74
> > rows=8620 width=20) (actual time=77.004..537065.079 rows=74612
> > loops=1)
> >    Index Cond: ((sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
> >    Filter: (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text)
> >  Total runtime: 537477.737 ms
> > (4 rows)
> >
> > Time: 537480.571 ms
>
> Nothing you're going to do to the query is going to come up with a more
> effective plan than this. It's using the index after all. It's never going to
> be lightning fast because it has to process 75k rows.
>
> However 75k rows shouldn't be taking nearly 10 minutes. It should be taking
> about 10 seconds.

That's my feeling as well, I thought the index was to blame because it
will be quite large, possibly large enough to not fit in memory nor be
quickly bursted up.

> The 77ms before finding the first record is a bit suspicious. Have you
> vacuumed this table regularly? Try a VACUUM FULL VERBOSE, and send the
> results. You might try to REINDEX it as well, though I doubt that would help.

This table is *brand spanking new* for lack of a better term.  I have
the data for it in a CSV.  I load the CSV up which takes a bit, then
create the indexes, do a vacuum analyze verbose, and then posted the
results above.  I don't think running vacuum a more times is going to
change things, at least not without tweaking config settings that
affect vacuum. Not a single row has been inserted or altered since the
initial load.. it's just a test.

I can't give vacuum stats right now because the thing is reloading
(again) with different newfs settings -- something I figure I have the
time to fiddle with now, and seldom do at other times.  These numbers
though don't change much between 8K on up to 64K 'cluster' sizes.  I'm
trying it now with 8K page sizes, with 8K "minimum fragment" sizes.
Should speed things up a tiny bit but not enough to really affect this
query.

Do you still see a need to have the output from the vacuum?

> Actually you might consider clustering the table on sname_unique. That would
> accomplish the same thing as the VACUUM FULL command and also speed up the
> index scan. And the optimizer knows (if you analyze afterwards) it so it
> should be more likely to pick the index scan. But currently you have to rerun
> cluster periodically.

Clustering is really unworkable in this situation.  It would work now,
in this limited test case, but using it if this were to go into
production is unrealistic.  It would have to happen fairly often since
this table is updated frequently, which will break the clustering
quickly with MVCC.

Running it often.. well.. it has 70M+ rows, and the entire table is
copied, reordered, and rewritten.. so that's a lot of 'scratch space'
needed.  Finally, clustering locks the table..

Something I'd already considered but quickly ruled out because of
these reasons..

More ideas are welcome though. ;)

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Дата:
Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> Clustering is really unworkable in this situation.

Nonetheless, please do it in your test scenario, so we can see if it has
any effect or not.

The speed you're getting works out to about 7.2 msec/row, which would be
about right if every single row fetch caused a disk seek, which seems
improbable unless the table is just huge compared to your available RAM.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Index Scan using sname_unique on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..34453.74
>>>rows=8620 width=20) (actual time=77.004..537065.079 rows=74612
>>>loops=1)
>>>   Index Cond: ((sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
>>>   Filter: (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text)
>>> Total runtime: 537477.737 ms
>>>(4 rows)
>>>
>>>Time: 537480.571 ms
>>
>>Nothing you're going to do to the query is going to come up with a more
>>effective plan than this. It's using the index after all. It's never going to
>>be lightning fast because it has to process 75k rows.
>>
>>However 75k rows shouldn't be taking nearly 10 minutes. It should be taking
>>about 10 seconds.

I am confused about this statement. I have a table with 1.77 million
rows that I use gist indexes on (TSearch) and I can pull out of it in
less than 2 seconds.

Are you saying it should be taking 10 seconds because of the type of
plan? 10 seconds seems like an awfullong time for this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> That's my feeling as well, I thought the index was to blame because it
> will be quite large, possibly large enough to not fit in memory nor be
> quickly bursted up.
>

>>The 77ms before finding the first record is a bit suspicious. Have you
>>vacuumed this table regularly? Try a VACUUM FULL VERBOSE, and send the
>>results. You might try to REINDEX it as well, though I doubt that would help.
>

> This table is *brand spanking new* for lack of a better term.  I have
> the data for it in a CSV.  I load the CSV up which takes a bit, then
> create the indexes, do a vacuum analyze verbose, and then posted the
> results above.  I don't think running vacuum a more times is going to
> change things, at least not without tweaking config settings that
> affect vacuum. Not a single row has been inserted or altered since the
> initial load.. it's just a test.
>
> I can't give vacuum stats right now because the thing is reloading
> (again) with different newfs settings -- something I figure I have the
> time to fiddle with now, and seldom do at other times.  These numbers
> though don't change much between 8K on up to 64K 'cluster' sizes.  I'm
> trying it now with 8K page sizes, with 8K "minimum fragment" sizes.
> Should speed things up a tiny bit but not enough to really affect this
> query.
>
> Do you still see a need to have the output from the vacuum?
>

>>Actually you might consider clustering the table on sname_unique. That would
>>accomplish the same thing as the VACUUM FULL command and also speed up the
>>index scan. And the optimizer knows (if you analyze afterwards) it so it
>>should be more likely to pick the index scan. But currently you have to rerun
>>cluster periodically.
>

> Clustering is really unworkable in this situation.  It would work now,
> in this limited test case, but using it if this were to go into
> production is unrealistic.  It would have to happen fairly often since
> this table is updated frequently, which will break the clustering
> quickly with MVCC.
>
> Running it often.. well.. it has 70M+ rows, and the entire table is
> copied, reordered, and rewritten.. so that's a lot of 'scratch space'
> needed.  Finally, clustering locks the table..
>
> Something I'd already considered but quickly ruled out because of
> these reasons..
>
> More ideas are welcome though. ;)
>
> -Allen

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:41:51 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> > Clustering is really unworkable in this situation.
>
> Nonetheless, please do it in your test scenario, so we can see if it has
> any effect or not.

It did not, not enough to measure anyway, which does strike me as
pretty odd.. Here's what I've got, after the cluster.  Note that this
is also on a new filesystem, as I said, have been taking the chance to
experiment.  The other two results were from a filesystem with 64KB
block size, 8KB fragment size.  This one is 8KB and 8KB.

search=# explain analyze
search-# SELECT sname FROM testtable WHERE sname LIKE 'AA%';

QUERY PLAN

 Index Scan using sname_unique on "testtable"  (cost=0.00..642138.83
rows=160399 width=20) (actual time=0.088..514438.470 rows=74612
loops=1)
   Index Cond: ((sname >= 'AA'::text) AND (sname < 'AB'::text))
   Filter: (sname ~~ 'AA%'::text)
 Total runtime: 514818.837 ms
(4 rows)

Time: 514821.993 ms

> The speed you're getting works out to about 7.2 msec/row, which would be
> about right if every single row fetch caused a disk seek, which seems
> improbable unless the table is just huge compared to your available RAM.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

The CSV for the table is "huge" but not compared to RAM.  The dump of
the database in native/binary format is ~1GB; the database currently
has only this table and the system stuff.

The time to fetch the first row was much faster with the cluster in
place, but after that, it's pretty much the same.  537s vs. 515s

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

Дата:
Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:41:51 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Clustering is really unworkable in this situation.
>>
>> Nonetheless, please do it in your test scenario, so we can see if it has
>> any effect or not.

> It did not, not enough to measure anyway, which does strike me as
> pretty odd.

Me too.  Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree entirely, because I
really expected to see a significant change.

Lets start from first principles.  While you are running this query,
what sort of output do you get from "vmstat 1"?  I'm wondering if it's
I/O bound or CPU bound ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:35:00 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Nonetheless, please do it in your test scenario, so we can see if it has
> >> any effect or not.
>
> > It did not, not enough to measure anyway, which does strike me as
> > pretty odd.
>
> Me too.  Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree entirely, because I
> really expected to see a significant change.
>
> Lets start from first principles.  While you are running this query,
> what sort of output do you get from "vmstat 1"?  I'm wondering if it's
> I/O bound or CPU bound ...

I am running systat -vmstat 1 constantly on the box.. it's almost
always I/O bound.. and the numbers are far lower than what I expect
them to be, under 1MB/s.  bonnie++ shows decent scores so.. I'm not
sure what's goin on.

[allen@dbtest01 /mnt_db/work#]bonnie++ -d /mnt_db/work -c 2 -u nobody
Using uid:65534, gid:65534.
Writing a byte at a time...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading a byte at a time...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
Version 1.93c       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
Concurrency   2     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
dbtest01.distr 300M   100  98 17426  21 17125  18   197  98 182178  99  2027  42
Latency             96208us     594ms     472ms   56751us   15691us    3710ms
Version 1.93c       ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
dbtest01.distribute -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 12932  90 +++++ +++ 20035  98 11912  91 +++++ +++ 13074  93
Latency             26691us     268us   18789us   26755us   13586us   25039us

1.93c,1.93c,dbtest01.distributedmail.com,2,1100269160,300M,,100,98,17426,21,17125,18,197,98,182178,99,2027,42,16,,,,,12932,90,+++++,+++,20035,98,11912,91,+++++,+++,13074,93,96208us,594ms,472ms,56751us,15691us,3710ms,26691us,268us,18789us,26755us,13586us,25039us

Looking at these numbers, obviously things could be a bit quicker, but
it doesn't look slow enough to my eyes or experience to account for
what I'm seeing with the query performance..

During the query, swap doesn't get touched, the cpus are mostly idle,
but the disk activity seems to be maxed at under 1MB/s, 100% busy.

To refresh and extend..
The box is FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE
Dual 800MHz PIII's, 2GB of memory

Relevent kernel options:

maxusers        512
options         SYSVSHM
options         SHMMAXPGS=262144
options         SHMSEG=512
options         SHMMNI=512
options         SYSVSEM
options         SEMMNI=512
options         SEMMNS=1024
options         SEMMNU=512
options         SEMMAP=512

nothing custom going on in /etc/sysctl.conf

Filesystem is..
/dev/da1s1e on /mnt_db (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

And, from my postgresql.conf..

shared_buffers = 32768          # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each
sort_mem = 65536                # min 64, size in KB
vacuum_mem = 65536              # min 1024, size in KB
max_fsm_pages = 20000           # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
max_fsm_relations = 1000        # min 100, ~50 bytes each
stats_start_collector = true
stats_command_string = true
stats_block_level = false
stats_row_level = true
stats_reset_on_server_start = true

Thanks for helping me out with this Tom and everyone else.  I suppose
it's possible that something could be physically wrong with the drive,
but I'm not seeing anything in syslog.  I'm going to poke around with
camcontrol looking for any bad sectors / remapped stuff while I wait
for replies.

-Allen

Re: Strange (?) Index behavior?

От
Allen Landsidel
Дата:
Sorry if I'm contributing more noise to the signal here, just thought
I'd repost this one to the list since it may have gotten lost in all
the garbage from the guy unhappy about the usenet thing..