Обсуждение: Page Miss Hits

Page Miss Hits

От
Ioannis Theoharis

Hi, i would like to answer if there is any way in postgres to find the
page miss hits caused during a query execution.

Is there something like explain analyze with the page miss hits???

Re: Page Miss Hits

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 02:11, Ioannis Theoharis wrote:
> Hi, i would like to answer if there is any way in postgres to find the
> page miss hits caused during a query execution.
>

> Is there something like explain analyze with the page miss hits???

You're making a basic assumption that is (at least currently) untrue,
and that is that PostgreSQL has it's own cache.  It doesn't.  It has a
buffer that drops buffer back into the free pool when the last
referencing backend concludes and shuts down.  So, PostgreSQL currently
relies on the kernel to cache for it.  So, what you need is a tool that
monitors the kernel cache usage and its hit rate.  I'm not familiar with
any, but I'm sure something out there likely does that.

Re: Page Miss Hits

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 02:11, Ioannis Theoharis wrote:
>
>>Hi, i would like to answer if there is any way in postgres to find the
>>page miss hits caused during a query execution.
>>

>>Is there something like explain analyze with the page miss hits???
>

> You're making a basic assumption that is (at least currently) untrue,
> and that is that PostgreSQL has it's own cache.

Are you sure of this ? What is the meaning of the ARC recently introduced
then ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Page Miss Hits

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Scott Marlowe wrote:
| On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 10:43, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
|
|>Scott Marlowe wrote:

|>>You're making a basic assumption that is (at least currently) untrue,
|>>and that is that PostgreSQL has it's own cache.
|>
|>Are you sure of this ? What is the meaning of the ARC recently introduced
|>then ?
|

| Yes I am.  Test it yourself, setup a couple of backends, select * from
| some big tables, then, one at a time, shut down the psql clients and
| when the last one closes, the shared mem goes away.  Run another client,
| do select * from the big table, and watch the client size grow from a
| few meg to a size large enough to hold the whole table (or however much
| your shared_buffers will hold.)
|
| While someone may make ARC and the shared buffers act like a cache some
| day (can't be that hard, most of the work is done really) right now it's
| not how it works.
|
| ARC still helps, since it makes sure the shared_buffers don't all get
| flushed from the useful small datasets when a seq scan gets executed.

I'm still not convinced. Why the last backend alive, have to throw away
bunch of memory copied in the SHM? And again, the ARC is a replacement
policy for a cache, which one ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Page Miss Hits

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> | ARC still helps, since it makes sure the shared_buffers don't all get
> | flushed from the useful small datasets when a seq scan gets executed.
>
> I'm still not convinced. Why the last backend alive, have to throw away
> bunch of memory copied in the SHM? And again, the ARC is a replacement
> policy for a cache, which one ?

As you know, ARC is a recent addition. I've not seen any benchmarks
demonstrating that the optimal SHARED_BUFFERS setting is different today
than it was in the past.

We know it's changed, but the old buffer strategy had an equally hard
time with a small buffer as it did a large one. Does that mean the
middle of the curve is still at 15k buffers but the extremes are handled
better? Or something completely different?

Please feel free to benchmark 7.5 (OSDL folks should be able to help us
as well) and report back.

Re: Page Miss Hits

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Rod Taylor wrote:
>>| ARC still helps, since it makes sure the shared_buffers don't all get
>>| flushed from the useful small datasets when a seq scan gets executed.
>>
>>I'm still not convinced. Why the last backend alive, have to throw away
>>bunch of memory copied in the SHM? And again, the ARC is a replacement
>>policy for a cache, which one ?
>

> As you know, ARC is a recent addition. I've not seen any benchmarks
> demonstrating that the optimal SHARED_BUFFERS setting is different today
> than it was in the past.
>
> We know it's changed, but the old buffer strategy had an equally hard
> time with a small buffer as it did a large one. Does that mean the
> middle of the curve is still at 15k buffers but the extremes are handled
> better? Or something completely different?
>
> Please feel free to benchmark 7.5 (OSDL folks should be able to help us
> as well) and report back.

I know, I know.

We were discussing about the fact that postgres use a his own cache or not;
and for the OP pleasure then if is possible retrieve hit and miss information
from that cache.

For benchmarch may be is better that you look not at the particular implementation
done in postgresql but at the general improvements that the ARC replacement
policy introduce. If I'm not wrong till now postgres was using an LRU,
around you can find some articles like these:

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/StorageSystems/autonomic_storage/ARC/rj10284.pdf
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/dmodha/arcfast.pdf

where are showns the improvements.

As you wrote no one did benchmarks on demostrating with the "brute force" that
ARC is better but on the paper should be.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola