Обсуждение: Visual Explain

Visual Explain

От
Jeff
Дата:
I've known about this tool for a while, but it seems many people do not
know of its existence and I think it would be useful to a lot of people
who have a hard time reading explain analyze output. (And even those
who can read them without blinking.. when you get deep in join hell it
gets tricky!)

Red Hat Visual Explain - part of Red Hat Database.

It is what the name implies - a graphical (java) program to draw a
picture of your query plan (along with all the juicy information
explain analyze provides).   I just tried it out today and after
upgrading my JDBC to 7.4 it worked fine (If you get a message about SET
AUTOCOMMIT then you need to upgrade your jdbc jar)

Quite handy for getting a grasp on stupidly large query plans.

http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/visualexplain.html

I used the CVS version, I have no idea how well the "official" releases
work.
Anyone else using it?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Visual Explain

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
Will this run on other platforms? OSX maybe?

> I've known about this tool for a while, but it seems many people do not
> know of its existence and I think it would be useful to a lot of people
> who have a hard time reading explain analyze output. (And even those
> who can read them without blinking.. when you get deep in join hell it
> gets tricky!)
>
> Red Hat Visual Explain - part of Red Hat Database.
>
> It is what the name implies - a graphical (java) program to draw a
> picture of your query plan (along with all the juicy information
> explain analyze provides).   I just tried it out today and after
> upgrading my JDBC to 7.4 it worked fine (If you get a message about SET
> AUTOCOMMIT then you need to upgrade your jdbc jar)
>
> Quite handy for getting a grasp on stupidly large query plans.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/visualexplain.html
>
> I used the CVS version, I have no idea how well the "official" releases
> work.
> Anyone else using it?
>

> --
> Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
> http://www.jefftrout.com/
> http://www.stuarthamm.net/

>     joining column's datatypes do not match

believed to be clean.

Re: Visual Explain

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 17/06/2004 12:10 Adam Witney wrote:

> Will this run on other platforms? OSX maybe?

It's a Java app so it runs on any any platform with a reasonably modern
Java VM.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Visual Explain

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Jun 17, 2004, at 7:10 AM, Adam Witney wrote:

> Will this run on other platforms? OSX maybe?

I've run it on both linux (rh8) and osx (panther).

its java so it *should* run anywhere.

It isn't the fastest beast in the world though. takes a bit of time to
render the plan.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: Visual Explain

От
Vitaly Belman
Дата:
Is it possible to download the Visual Explain only (link)? I only see
that you can donwload the whole ISO (which I hardly need).

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:52:15 +0100, Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/06/2004 12:10 Adam Witney wrote:
> >
> > Will this run on other platforms? OSX maybe?
>
> It's a Java app so it runs on any any platform with a reasonably modern
> Java VM.
>
> --
> Paul Thomas
> +------------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
> | Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
> Business             |
> | Computer Consultants         |
> http://www.thomas-micro-systems-ltd.co.uk   |
> +------------------------------+---------------------------------------------+

Re: Visual Explain

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Jun 17, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Vitaly Belman wrote:

> Is it possible to download the Visual Explain only (link)? I only see
> that you can donwload the whole ISO (which I hardly need).

you'll need to snag it out of cvs:

http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/cvs.html

You can checkout just visual explain so you won't need to grab
everything.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: Visual Explain

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 17/06/2004 17:54 Vitaly Belman wrote:
> Is it possible to download the Visual Explain only (link)? I only see
> that you can donwload the whole ISO (which I hardly need).

You can get it from CVS and build it yourself.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Visual Explain

От