Обсуждение: Any way to 'analyze' indexes to get updated sizes?

Any way to 'analyze' indexes to get updated sizes?

От
"Jeremy M. Guthrie"
Дата:

Use of subquery causes seq scan???

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
I need some help.  I have a query that refuses to use the provided index and
is always sequentially scanning causing me large performance headaches.  Here
is the basic situation:

Table A:
inv_num int
type        char
.
.
.
pkey (inv_num, type)
indx(inv_num)

Table B (has the same primary key)

Select *
from table a
where inv_num in (select inv_num from table b where ....)

Doing this causes sequential scans of both tables.  If I do a set
enable_seqscan to false before the query, I get an index scan of table b but
still seq scan table a.

Is there anyway to force table a to use this index (or another) and not
sequentially scan the table?

I'm running 7.3.4 on RedHat EL 2.1.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Use of subquery causes seq scan???

Дата:
"Chris Hoover" <revoohc@sermonaudio.com> writes:
> Select *
> from table a
> where inv_num in (select inv_num from table b where ....)

> I'm running 7.3.4 on RedHat EL 2.1.

IN (SELECT) constructs pretty well suck in PG releases before 7.4.
Update, or consult the FAQ about rewriting into an EXISTS form.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Use of subquery causes seq scan???

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
Please don't reply to messages to start new threads.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:20:05 -0400,
  Chris Hoover <revoohc@sermonaudio.com> wrote:
> I need some help.  I have a query that refuses to use the provided index and
> is always sequentially scanning causing me large performance headaches.  Here
> is the basic situation:
>
> Table A:
> inv_num int
> type        char
> .
> .
> .
> pkey (inv_num, type)
> indx(inv_num)
>
> Table B (has the same primary key)
>
> Select *
> from table a
> where inv_num in (select inv_num from table b where ....)
>
> Doing this causes sequential scans of both tables.  If I do a set
> enable_seqscan to false before the query, I get an index scan of table b but
> still seq scan table a.
>
> Is there anyway to force table a to use this index (or another) and not
> sequentially scan the table?
>
> I'm running 7.3.4 on RedHat EL 2.1.

IN was slow in 7.3.x and before. The query will probably run much better
as is in 7.4 and above. In 7.3 you want to rewrite it as a join or using
EXISTS.