Обсуждение: views?

views?

От
"Loeke"
Дата:
do views exist fysically a separate "table",
or are they generated on the fly whenever they are queried?

if they exist fysically they could improve performance (..php, web),
for example a view being a join between two or more tables..

tnx?

Re: views?

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
"Loeke" <LoekeDoeLoekeDoe@dontlikespam.hotmail.com> writes:
> do views exist fysically a separate "table", or are they generated
> on the fly whenever they are queried?

Views are implementing by rewriting queries into the appropriate query
on the view's base tables.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/rules-views.html

> if they exist fysically they could improve performance (..php, web),

This is called a "materialized view". PostgreSQL doesn't support them
yet, but most people think it would be a Good Thing to have.

-Neil

Re: views?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Saturday 31 January 2004 04:35, Neil Conway wrote:

> This is called a "materialized view". PostgreSQL doesn't support them
> yet, but most people think it would be a Good Thing to have.

There is a project on gborg (called "mview" iirc) though I don't know how far
it's got - I think it's still pretty new.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: views?

От
"Loeke"
Дата:
> > This is called a "materialized view". PostgreSQL doesn't support them
> > yet, but most people think it would be a Good Thing to have.
>
> There is a project on gborg (called "mview" iirc) though I don't know how
far
> it's got - I think it's still pretty new.

tnx