Обсуждение: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

От
Jón Ragnarsson
Дата:
I am writing a website that will probably have some traffic.
Right now I wrap every .php page in pg_connect() and pg_close().
Then I read somewhere that Postgres only supports 100 simultaneous
connections (default). Is that a limitation? Should I use some other
method when writing code for high-traffic website?
J.

Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Wednesday 14 January 2004 18:18, Jón Ragnarsson wrote:
> I am writing a website that will probably have some traffic.
> Right now I wrap every .php page in pg_connect() and pg_close().
> Then I read somewhere that Postgres only supports 100 simultaneous
> connections (default). Is that a limitation? Should I use some other
> method when writing code for high-traffic website?

Yes. You should rather investigate connection pooling.

I am no php expert but probably this could help you..

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-pconnect.php

 Shridhar

Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Clinging to sanity, jonr@physicallink.com (Jón Ragnarsson) mumbled into her beard:
> I am writing a website that will probably have some traffic.
> Right now I wrap every .php page in pg_connect() and pg_close().
> Then I read somewhere that Postgres only supports 100 simultaneous
> connections (default). Is that a limitation? Should I use some other
> method when writing code for high-traffic website?

I thought the out-of-the-box default was 32.

If you honestly need a LOT of connections, you can configure the
database to support more.  I "upped the limit" on one system to have
512 the other week; certainly supportable, if you have the RAM for it.

It is, however, quite likely that the connect()/close() cuts down on
the efficiency of your application.  If PHP supports some form of
"connection pooling," you should consider using that, as it will cut
down _dramatically_ on the amount of work done establishing/closing
connections, and should let your apps use somewhat fewer connections
more effectively.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linux.html

Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

От
Jón Ragnarsson
Дата:
Ok, connection pooling was the thing that I thought of first, but I
haven't found any docs regarding pooling with PHP+Postgres.
OTOH, I designed the application to be as independent from the DB as
possible. (No stored procedures or other Postgres specific stuff)
Thanks,
J.

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Clinging to sanity, jonr@physicallink.com (Jón Ragnarsson) mumbled into her beard:
>
>>I am writing a website that will probably have some traffic.
>>Right now I wrap every .php page in pg_connect() and pg_close().
>>Then I read somewhere that Postgres only supports 100 simultaneous
>>connections (default). Is that a limitation? Should I use some other
>>method when writing code for high-traffic website?
>

> I thought the out-of-the-box default was 32.
>
> If you honestly need a LOT of connections, you can configure the
> database to support more.  I "upped the limit" on one system to have
> 512 the other week; certainly supportable, if you have the RAM for it.
>
> It is, however, quite likely that the connect()/close() cuts down on
> the efficiency of your application.  If PHP supports some form of
> "connection pooling," you should consider using that, as it will cut
> down _dramatically_ on the amount of work done establishing/closing
> connections, and should let your apps use somewhat fewer connections
> more effectively.

Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?

От
"Nick Barr"