Обсуждение: PostgreSql under Linux

PostgreSql under Linux

От
"Wilson A. Galafassi Jr."
Дата:
Hello people.

I'm installing Postgresql under linux for better performance and i want to know how is the best configuration.

My server is a dual pentium3 1ghz/1gb ram/36gb scsi. running only postgresql. My question is:
1. What is the best linux distribuition for better performance?
2. Does exists any compilation options to better performance on this machine?

Thanks

Wilson Galafassi

Re: PostgreSql under Linux

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:03:41PM -0300, Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:
> I'm installing Postgresql under linux for better performance and i want to know how is the best configuration.

> 1. What is the best linux distribuition for better performance?

The Linux distribution itself isn't that important, IMHO. Spend some time
selecting the right filesystem (check the archives for threads on this
topic), the right kernel (and perhaps compiling your own from scratch),
perhaps some kernel tuning (I/O scheduler, etc.), and so forth.

> 2. Does exists any compilation options to better performance on this machine?

Not compilation options, but there are plenty of configuration settings
you should be tweaking to ensure good performance. You can find a list
of configuration options here:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/runtime-config.html

-Neil