Обсуждение: Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

Consider this performance quandry brought to me by Elein, which I can replcate
in 7.2.3 and in 7.4 devel:

case_clients is a medium-large table with about 110,000 rows.  The field
date_resolved is a timestamp field which is indexed and allows nulls (in
fact, is null for 40% of entries).

First, as expected, a regular aggregate is slow:

jwnet=> explain analyze select max(date_resolved) from case_clients;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Aggregate  (cost=3076.10..3076.10 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=484.24..484.24
rows=1 loops=1)
  ->  Seq Scan on case_clients  (cost=0.00..2804.48 rows=108648 width=4)
(actual time=0.08..379.81 rows=108648 loops=1)
Total runtime: 484.44 msec

So we use the workaround standard for PostgreSQL:

jwnet=> explain analyze select date_resolved from case_clients order by
date_resolved desc limit 1;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Limit  (cost=0.00..1.50 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=0.22..0.23 rows=1
loops=1)
  ->  Index Scan Backward using idx_caseclients_resolved on case_clients
(cost=0.00..163420.59 rows=108648 width=4) (actual time=0.21..0.22 rows=2
loops=1)
Total runtime: 0.33 msec

... which is fast, but returns NULL, since nulls sort to the bottom!  So we
add IS NOT NULL:

jwnet=> explain analyze select date_resolved from case_clients where
date_resolved is not null order by date_resolved desc limit 1;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Limit  (cost=0.00..4.06 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=219.63..219.64 rows=1
loops=1)
  ->  Index Scan Backward using idx_caseclients_resolved on case_clients
(cost=0.00..163420.59 rows=40272 width=4) (actual time=219.62..219.62 rows=2
loops=1)
Total runtime: 219.76 msec

Aieee!  Almost as slow as the aggregate!

Now, none of those times is huge on this test database, but on a larger
database (> 1million rows) the performance problem is much worse.  For some
reason, the backward index scan seems to have to transverse all of the NULLs
before selecting a value.  I find this peculiar, as I was under the
impression that NULLs were not indexed.

What's going on here?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> First, as expected, a regular aggregate is slow:

> So we use the workaround standard for PostgreSQL:
>
> ... which is fast, but returns NULL, since nulls sort to the bottom!  So we
> add IS NOT NULL:
>
> jwnet=> explain analyze select date_resolved from case_clients where
> date_resolved is not null order by date_resolved desc limit 1;
> NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
>
> Limit  (cost=0.00..4.06 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=219.63..219.64 rows=1
> loops=1)
>   ->  Index Scan Backward using idx_caseclients_resolved on case_clients
> (cost=0.00..163420.59 rows=40272 width=4) (actual time=219.62..219.62 rows=2
> loops=1)
> Total runtime: 219.76 msec
>
> Aieee!  Almost as slow as the aggregate!

I'd suggest trying a partial index on date_resolved where date_resolve is
not null.  In my simple tests on about 200,000 rows of ints where 50% are
null that sort of index cut the runtime on my machine from 407.66 msec to
0.15 msec.

Re: Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Now, none of those times is huge on this test database, but on a larger
> database (> 1million rows) the performance problem is much worse.  For some
> reason, the backward index scan seems to have to transverse all of the NULLs
> before selecting a value.

Correct.  You lose, if there are a lot of nulls.  Unfortunately, the
"IS NOT NULL" clause isn't considered an indexable operator and so the
indexscan has no idea that it shouldn't return the null rows.  If it
could just traverse past them in the index, this example wouldn't be so
bad, but it goes out and fetches the heap rows before discarding 'em :-(

> I find this peculiar, as I was under the
> impression that NULLs were not indexed.

Not correct.  btrees index NULLs, as they must do in order to have
correct behavior for multicolumn indexes.

I think it would work to instead do something like

select date_resolved from case_clients
where date_resolved < 'infinity'
order by date_resolved desc
limit 1;

since then the indexscan will get a qualifier condition that will allow
it to discard the nulls.  In fact, I think this will even prevent
having to traverse past the nulls in the index --- the original form
starts the indexscan at the index end, but this should do a btree
descent search to exactly the place you want.  Note that the
where-clause has to match the scan direction (> or >= for ASC, < or <=
for DESC) so that it looks like a "start here" condition to btree.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Tom Lane kirjutas L, 14.12.2002 kell 01:24:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > Now, none of those times is huge on this test database, but on a larger
> > database (> 1million rows) the performance problem is much worse.  For some
> > reason, the backward index scan seems to have to transverse all of the NULLs
> > before selecting a value.
>
> Correct.  You lose, if there are a lot of nulls.  Unfortunately, the
> "IS NOT NULL" clause isn't considered an indexable operator and so the
> indexscan has no idea that it shouldn't return the null rows. If it
> could just traverse past them in the index, this example wouldn't be so
> bad, but it goes out and fetches the heap rows before discarding 'em :-(
>
> > I find this peculiar, as I was under the
> > impression that NULLs were not indexed.
>
> Not correct.  btrees index NULLs, as they must do in order to have
> correct behavior for multicolumn indexes.

I've heard this befoe, but this is something I've never understood - why
do you have to index _single_ null's in order to behave correctly for
multi-column index.

Is it that postgres thinks that tuple of several nulls is the same as
null ?

Is it just that nulls need to have an ordering and that this fact has
somehow leaked down to actually being stored in the index ?

I don't have anything against nulls being indexed - in a table where
nulls have about the same frequency as other values it may actually be
useful (if indexes were used to find IS NULL tuples)

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>

Re: Odd Sort/Limit/Max Problem

Дата:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Tom Lane kirjutas L, 14.12.2002 kell 01:24:
>> Not correct.  btrees index NULLs, as they must do in order to have
>> correct behavior for multicolumn indexes.

> I've heard this befoe, but this is something I've never understood - why
> do you have to index _single_ null's in order to behave correctly for
> multi-column index.

Well, you don't absolutely *have to* index individual nulls, but you do
have to support nulls in index entries.

The example that motivates this is

    create table foo (f1 int, f2 int);
    create index fooi on foo(f1,f2);
    ... fill table ...
    select * from foo where f1 = 42;

The planner is entitled to implement this as an indexscan using fooi's
first column (and ignoring its lower-order column(s)).  Now if fooi does
not index rows in which f2 is null, you lose, because it may omit rows
with f1 = 42 that should have been found by the indexscan.  So it *has
to* be able to store index entries like (42, NULL).

For btree's purposes, the easiest implementation is to say that NULL is
an ordinary index entry with a definable sort position (which we chose
to define as "after all non-NULL values").  There's no particular value
in having a special case for all-NULL index entries, so we don't.

GiST is not able to handle all-NULL index entries, so it uses the rule
"index all rows in which the first index column is not NULL".  This
still meets the planner's constraint because we never do an indexscan
that uses only lower-order index columns.

hash and rtree don't support NULL index entries, but they don't support
multicolumn indexes either, so the constraint doesn't apply.

> I don't have anything against nulls being indexed - in a table where
> nulls have about the same frequency as other values it may actually be
> useful (if indexes were used to find IS NULL tuples)

At least for btree, it would be nice to someday allow IS NULL as an
indexable operator.  I haven't thought very hard about how to do that;
shoehorning it into the operator class structure looks like it'd be a
horrid mess, so it'd probably require some creative klugery :-(

> Is it just that nulls need to have an ordering and that this fact has
> somehow leaked down to actually being stored in the index ?

No, more the other way around: btree assigns an ordering to NULLs
because it must do so in order to know where to put them in the index.
This is an artifact of btree that happens to "leak upward" ...

            regards, tom lane