Обсуждение: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

Дата:
Here is a reformatting of the VACUUM VERBOSE FSM output so it outputs
from a single INFO output command:

    INFO:  free space map contains information about:
    49 relations, limit 1000 relations
    35 pages with free space, 784 pages (with overhead)
    784 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

Applied, per discussion with Tom.

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:55:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

One question,

>     INFO:  free space map contains information about:
>     49 relations, limit 1000 relations
>     35 pages with free space, 784 pages (with overhead)
                                  ^^^^^^^^^
>     784 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

What does that number mean?  Why not simply

>     49 relations, limit 1000 relations
>     35 pages with free space, limit 784 pages
>       Total memory used 171 kB

?

Also, non-main messages should end with a period according to message
style guidelines.

"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,
un imbécil" (Luis Adler, "Los tripulantes de la noche")

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:55:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> One question,
>
> >     INFO:  free space map contains information about:
> >     49 relations, limit 1000 relations
> >     35 pages with free space, 784 pages (with overhead)
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^
> >     784 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)
>
> What does that number mean?  Why not simply

Well, the number you highlighted might not equal the number on the next
line if you don't have enough entries to store all the free space, e.g.:

    INFO:  free space map contains information about:
    49 relations, limit 1000 relations
    14024 pages with free space, 18000 pages (with overhead)
    19300 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

Does that help?  Let me add the words "total pages used":

    INFO:  free space map contains information about:
    49 relations, limit 1000 relations
    14024 pages with free space, 18000 total pages used (including overhead)
    19300 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

> >     49 relations, limit 1000 relations
> >     35 pages with free space, limit 784 pages
> >       Total memory used 171 kB
>
> ?

OK, sure.  Done.

    INFO:  free space map contains information about:
    51 relations, limit 1000 relations
    36 pages with free space, 816 total pages used (including overhead)
    816 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages
    171 kB memory used

> Also, non-main messages should end with a period according to message
> style guidelines.

Uh, I am confused on that. The docs say:

    Primary error messages: Do not capitalize the first letter. Do not end a
    message with a period. Do not even think about ending a message with an
    exclamation point.

    Detail and hint messages: Use complete sentences, and end each with a
    period. Capitalize the first word of sentences.

Should the "memory used" line be a hint?

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:16:09PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, the number you highlighted might not equal the number on the next
> line if you don't have enough entries to store all the free space, e.g.:
>
>     INFO:  free space map contains information about:
>     49 relations, limit 1000 relations
>     14024 pages with free space, 18000 pages (with overhead)
>     19300 pages required to track all freespace, limit 18000 pages (171 kB)

Huh, so there are three numbers: the 14024 which is "pages with free
space", the 19300 "required to track all free space" and 18000 which is
the limit.

What goes in the remaining 5276 (19300-14024) page entries anyway?

> > Also, non-main messages should end with a period according to message
> > style guidelines.
>
> Uh, I am confused on that. The docs say:
>
>     Primary error messages: Do not capitalize the first letter. Do not end a
>     message with a period. Do not even think about ending a message with an
>     exclamation point.
>
>     Detail and hint messages: Use complete sentences, and end each with a
>     period. Capitalize the first word of sentences.
>
> Should the "memory used" line be a hint?

I think all lines in the INFO message are considered "detail" messages.
So everything should end with a period, or the whole thing be made a
complete sentence.  I'm not sure how to do that.

"Et put se mouve" (Galileo Galilei)

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

Дата:
> What goes in the remaining 5276 (19300-14024) page entries anyway?

That's overhead forced by the quantized allocation of FSM slots.

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

Дата:
> Should the "memory used" line be a hint?

Well, the main message should fit on one line, and the rest is either
hint or detail.  In this case detail since it's all facts, not advice.
Could look like this:

INFO: free space map contains N1 pages in N2 relations
DETAIL: A total of N3 FSM page slots are in use.
A total of N4 FSM page slots are required to track all free space.
Current FSM parameters are max_fsm_pages = N5, max_fsm_relations = N6,
resulting in total memory usage of N7 kB.

(where N3 is the number including overhead, and N4 is the "requested"
number.)

You could fix it so that hints were conditionally added like

HINT: max_fsm_pages is too small, consider raising it to at least N4.

but since you seem to want to treat that as a WARNING, it'd probably
be redundant to make a HINT for it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM VERBOSE FSM info

    INFO:  free space map contains 36 pages in 51 relations
    DETAIL:  A total of 816 page slots are in use (including overhead).
    816 page slots are required to track all free space.
    Current limits are:  18000 page slots, 1000 relations, using 171 KB.