Обсуждение: Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
People seem to get confused about just what the TODO list is, this patch gives
a more verbose explanation of how it works.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
Robert,

I think there are some mistakes with your addition. Here's a reworked
paragraph:

---
This is a list of items which have been put to or discussed by
contributors to the project. Many items have been discussed extensively on
the mailing lists, the archives of which can be found here:
http://archives.postgresql.org. Appearance on this list means that at
least one major contributor considered the idea worth further
investigation or implementation.

As such, an item's appearance on this list does not mean it is being
actively developed: look for items with a name following them to see items
that have been claimed for active development

If you are interested in contributing code for a specific item, first
consult the developer's FAQ at
http://developer.postgresql.org/readtext.php?src/FAQ/FAQ_DEV.html+Developers-FAQ

If an item has brackets "[]", there is more detail available, so be sure
to read that before posting.

Items with a hyphen (-) mark changes that have completed and will appear
in the 8.1 release.
---

Gavin

Re: Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
This is certainly nicer than what I had.  This seems to be mostly a copy/paste
change, but if I need to submit a new patch lmk.

Robert Treat

--
Robert Treat

Re: Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

Дата:
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> Robert,
> I think there are some mistakes with your addition. Here's a reworked
> paragraph:

FWIW, I like Gavin's wording better, because it makes it clearer that
there's not necessarily consensus on any particular TODO item being
a good idea.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Give the TODO list a little more verbose explanation

Дата:
I added a much shorter description to the top of the TODO list:

> This list contains all known PostgreSQL bugs and feature requests. If
> you would like to work on an item, please read the developer's FAQ
> first.

I used the wording "feature requests" so it was clear these are request
and might not have 100% agreement from the community.