Обсуждение: initdb conf-files linebreaks

initdb conf-files linebreaks

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
Attached patch makes initdb generate the config files with windows
linebreaks when running on windows. This makes it a lot easier for the
user to edit the configuration files, since any win32 plaintext editor
can be used (such as notepad for example).

If this is acceptable, and the method is ok, please apply for beta4 so
we can add some nice icons to the win32 installer :-)

//Magnus

Вложения

Re: initdb conf-files linebreaks

От
Andrew Dunstan

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>Attached patch makes initdb generate the config files with windows
>linebreaks when running on windows. This makes it a lot easier for the
>user to edit the configuration files, since any win32 plaintext editor
>can be used (such as notepad for example).
>
>If this is acceptable, and the method is ok, please apply for beta4 so
>we can add some nice icons to the win32 installer :-)

Assuming this works, the far simpler change would (or should) be to open
the file with "w" rather than PG_BINARY_W in all cases.

I don't know what Windows editors other than Notepad don't understand
line feeds properly - Wordpad at least does, as well as every editor I
actually use on Windows.

cheers

andrew

Re: initdb conf-files linebreaks

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>>Attached patch makes initdb generate the config files with windows
>>linebreaks when running on windows. This makes it a lot easier for the
>>user to edit the configuration files, since any win32 plaintext editor
>>can be used (such as notepad for example).
>>
>>If this is acceptable, and the method is ok, please apply for beta4 so
>>we can add some nice icons to the win32 installer :-)
>>

>Assuming this works, the far simpler change would (or should)
>be to open
>the file with "w" rather than PG_BINARY_W in all cases.

That does seem to work, yes. I thought there was some magic reason we
were using PG_BINARY_W and not "w".. Assuming there isn't, attached
patch is certainly cleaner.

>I don't know what Windows editors other than Notepad don't understand
>line feeds properly - Wordpad at least does, as well as every editor I
>actually use on Windows.

I've seen a couple, though I can't recall right now which they were.
Wordpad can play some nasty tricks on you with copy/paste, and
semi-formatted texts, though.
I don't use notepad much myself either, since there are plenty of good
editors out there. But notepad is the one that's going to be on *every*
windows system...

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>>Attached patch makes initdb generate the config files with windows
>>>linebreaks when running on windows. This makes it a lot easier for the
>>>user to edit the configuration files, since any win32 plaintext editor
>>>can be used (such as notepad for example).
>>>
>>>If this is acceptable, and the method is ok, please apply for beta4 so
>>>we can add some nice icons to the win32 installer :-)
>>>

>>Assuming this works, the far simpler change would (or should)
>>be to open
>>the file with "w" rather than PG_BINARY_W in all cases.
>>

>That does seem to work, yes. I thought there was some magic reason we
>were using PG_BINARY_W and not "w".. Assuming there isn't, attached
>patch is certainly cleaner.

I don't recall. It's been there since before the code was even committed
to CVS, by the look of it. Probably I was just trying to be as Unix-like
as possible.

It might break if we feed it a Ctrl-Z, but that isn't likely in this
case, is it?

cheers

andrew

Re: initdb conf-files linebreaks

Дата:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> That does seem to work, yes. I thought there was some magic reason we
> were using PG_BINARY_W and not "w".. Assuming there isn't, attached
> patch is certainly cleaner.

Looks reasonable to me.  Patch applied.

            regards, tom lane