Обсуждение: Enabling connection pooling by default

Enabling connection pooling by default

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Users can install 08.03.0200 ODBC driver in Windows using official msi
package.

"Set connection spooling attributes" window in Windows Vista ODBC Data
Source Administrator dialog shows that connection pooling is turned off by
default.

How to turn it on during default installation or programmatically so that
user intraction is not required ?
Is it possible to usie some connection string option to turn pooling on ?

For SQL and Oracle ODBC drivers connection pooling is turned on by default.

Andrus.

Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee> wrote:

> How to turn it on during default installation or programmatically so that
> user intraction is not required ?
> Is it possible to usie some connection string option to turn pooling on ?

This is the official list of options that can be passed to the driver.
 Unfortunately I didn't see any options for connection pooling:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/psqlodbc/psqlodbc/docs/config-opt.html?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Richard,

thank you.

Maybe connection pooling is ODBC driver manager function, not ODBC driver
itself.
In this case ODBC driver manager should have some special setting in
connection string like Driver=
which applies for all drivers.

Why connection pooling is not turned ON by msi installer ?
Maybe there is some command line option or is it possible to write to
registry to turn in on.
I do'nt like the idea to force end users to set this.
How to check whether conn pooling is active and issue warning to user if not
?

Andrus.

This is the official list of options that can be passed to the driver.
> Unfortunately I didn't see any options for connection pooling:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/psqlodbc/psqlodbc/docs/config-opt.html?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

От
Andrei Kovalevski
Дата:
Hello,

I have discovered this problem a little. It seems to me installer has to
set "CPTimeout" registry key  to some integer value. This will enable
pooling by default. Here is this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Odbc\Odbcinst.ini\ODBC_driver_name\CPTimeout

--
Andrei Kovalevski

Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Thank you.

So the program flow should be

1. Read registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Unicode\CPTimeout
2. It it does not exists or is zero, application requires registry write
access and wrote this key with value 60

Is this best solution ?
Or is there some ODBC api function which can used for this ?

I'm bit confused by the fact that pooling is not turned on by default.
So almost every PostgreSQL ODBC application does not use pooling.

Is connection pooling tested and works OK with unicode driver ?
Can pooling turned on by default in next driver release ?

Andrus.