Обсуждение: M$ Access as fronted for pg with pgsqlodbc

M$ Access as fronted for pg with pgsqlodbc

От
oca@mvc.edu.ph

We are developing an application on ms access that will become the frontend for psotgresql, the application will be used by more than 40 workstations, the apps is for registration of students.

We are very much concerned about the speed, any tips to avoid while developing application in M$ Access as front end?

This is our first time to use posgresql and be implemented as school wide database backend.

thank you very much!
oca

Re: M$ Access as fronted for pg with pgsqlodbc

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM,  <oca@mvc.edu.ph> wrote:

> We are very much concerned about the speed, any tips to avoid while
> developing application in M$ Access as front end?

1) do not use nullable booleans on the pg tables.  the MS Jet engine
sees null booleans as false.  This makes rows with null booleans not
update-able.
2) When ever possible, perform all large joins on the server not in
the MS-Query editor.
3) SELELT * FROM LargeTable; can be slow, so try to include Where
Clauses when ever possible to limit result set;

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Thank you! ----- Message from richard.broersma@gmail.com ---------