Обсуждение: Migration from odbc driver 7.x to 8.x

Migration from odbc driver 7.x to 8.x

От
Christian Schröder
Дата:
Hello list!
We have been using the PostgreSQL odbc driver 7.03.02.00 for a long time
to access our PostgreSQL 8.0.3 database with Microsoft Access. Now we
updated to odbc driver 8.00.01.02 and get the well-known problems with
non-ascii characters. I have already found several threads in this
mailing list and have come to the conclusion that it has been our fault
to use an SQL_ASCII encoding in our database. So I set up a test
database using UNICODE as encoding and tried to store some umlauts in it
(using the new odbc driver). This worked fine; however, when I tried to
access this new database using the old odbc driver, the umlauts were not
displayed correctly.
Now my question is: How can I perform a smooth migration from the old
odbc driver to the new one? Is there any special trick? If I change the
database encoding, the old driver will fail to get the umlauts right. If
I don't change, the new driver does not work. It will be nearly
impossible to do an instant update of the driver on all computers.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                          Tel.: +49 551 50419181
Financial IT and Consulting           Fax:  +49 551 5083159

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer

Re: Migration from odbc driver 7.x to 8.x

От
"Dave Page"

Wait for the next version of the new driver which will contain both an ANSI and Unicode version. The ANSI one should do
whatuyou expect with SQL_ASCII databases.

Regards, Dave