Обсуждение: New ODBC driver

New ODBC driver

От
markw@mohawksoft.com
Дата:
What would be the best way to go about re-writing the ODBC driver to use
libpq? (I haven't looked at the code in years, the last time I looked at
it was to find a memory leak.)

Is it possible to do it in stages?

Is the transport sufficiently separated to do a quick change to use libpq
as the transport, and then gradually use more and more?

My only concern would be that a re-write would re-break a lot of
functionality.

Re: New ODBC driver

От
"Dave Page"

I haven't looked at it in depth, but I think you will essentially just
need to rewrite connection.c as a libpq wrapper.

I don't think it would be realistic to mix the two approaches though -
if only because they couldn't share a single database connection.

Regards, Dave.

Re: New ODBC driver

От
markw@mohawksoft.com

Why is this an issue? Why not create multiple connections?

> Regards, Dave.

Re: New ODBC driver

От
"Dave Page"

Efficiency for a start - but what would you use each for? Any
application developer is going to expect everything to use the same
connection - how do you direct a 'SET' statement? What about transaction
isolation?

Regards, Dave.

Re: New ODBC driver

От
markw@mohawksoft.com

OK, I'm going to take a look at it.

I have a stupid question, where is the location of the ODBC source? Is it
part of PostgreSQL?

Re: New ODBC driver

От
"Dave Page"