Обсуждение: Access export overflow

Access export overflow

От
Ken-ichi
Дата:
Hi folks.  I tried searching this list's archives for this problem but
came up short.  I have a fairly large table in MS Access 2000 (33 cols,
3270 rows) that I'm trying to export to PostgreSQL 7.4.3.  When I clip
the table to only about 100 rows, the export runs fine, but when I try
to export the whole thing, I get an error window that says only
"Overflow."  This process generates the following error in my
postgresql.log file:

ERROR:  relation "msysconf" does not exist

The psqlodbc_xxxx.log written to my local machine ends with

conn=124694520, query='ROLLBACK'
conn=124694520, query='DROP TABLE "plot_data"'
conn=124694520, PGAPI_Disconnect

And the mylog_xxxx.log file doesn't seem to mention overflow anywhere,
but it does contain the lines

[1900]**** PGAPI_ExecDirect: hstmt=131080744, statement='DROP TABLE
"plot_data"'
[1900]PGAPI_ExecDirect: calling PGAPI_Execute...
[1900]PGAPI_Execute: entering...
[1900]PGAPI_Execute: clear errors...
[1900]recycle statement: self= 131080744
[1900]Exec_with_parameters_resolved: copying statement params:
trans_status=1, len=22, stmt='DROP TABLE "plot_data"'
[1900]   stmt_with_params = 'DROP TABLE "plot_data"'
[1900]      it's NOT a select statement: stmt=131080744
[1900]send_query(): conn=131086712, query='DROP TABLE "plot_data"'
[1900]send_query: done sending query

Can anyone tell me what's going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

-Ken-ichi

Re: Access export overflow

От
Mike Miller
Дата:
Hello,

My best guess is that there is nothing actually wrong with the internal
workings of access, odbc driver and postgresql.  You problem might be
that one of the rows you are trying to export contains a value that is
too big for the field you are trying to insert it into.  Perhaps you
should check your data definitions and make sure you have specified the
correct scale and precision on any numeric (decimal) fields.  The same
goes for varchar, integers, etc.

Access tends to throw back cryptic error messages at you and in my
(humble) experience it has always been a datatyping error or a foreign
key constraint that I have broken, but this may not be the case for you.
YMMV.

Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it's something for you to think about.

Good luck,

Mike.

Ken-ichi wrote:

> Hi folks.  I tried searching this list's archives for this problem but
> came up short.  I have a fairly large table in MS Access 2000 (33
> cols, 3270 rows) that I'm trying to export to PostgreSQL 7.4.3.  When
> I clip the table to only about 100 rows, the export runs fine, but
> when I try to export the whole thing, I get an error window that says
> only "Overflow."  This process generates the following error in my
> postgresql.log file:

Re: Access export overflow

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
I don't know what the problem is, but I would suspect
some weirdness in Access.

For exporting from Access to PostgreSQL, I suggest you
take a look at the "Database Migration Wizard" that
comes with PgAdminII (but not yet PgAdminIII,
regrettably).  I have had good experiences using that
wizard, which transparently does things like creating
appropriate sequences for your "autonumber" columns,
and creating referential integrity relationships based
on your Access setup.

http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2/downloads/