Обсуждение: PGSQL ODBC Install problems under windows

PGSQL ODBC Install problems under windows

От
Rob Caulfield
Дата:
Hi hope someone can help as after a weeks searching I have found only a
couple of references to the problem I'm about to describe, both of which
had no solution posted........

In a nutshell, PGSQL ODBC will not show itself as a registered and
available ODBC driver under Windows (XP in this case). The install seems
to go perfectly, all the correct registry entries are there but the
driver is a no show in the Windows ODBC configuration control panel.

This has happened on a couple of PC's running XP both are 3ghz P4s 1gb
ram and have all the latest patches installed along with MS Visual
Studio .NET Pro 2003 and MDAC 2.8.

There is another PC also XP running MS VS .NET 2003, MDAC 2.8 but has
not been completely patched up which the driver installs on and is
available.

To further compund the confusion there is another PC (XP) all patched up
and MDAC 2.8 but with no VS .NET installed and again the driver installs
and is available.

Is there some wierdness between a fully patched XP machine with VS.NET
2003 and the PGSQL ODBC driver? This seems extremely unlikey, although
for the life of me I can't find the problem.

If anyone has encountered this problem I would more than welcome any
suggestions (blowing the machines away and trying a re-install is not
really an option).

Many thanks,

Rob Caulfield.

Re: PGSQL ODBC Install problems under windows

От
"Dave Page"

No - I have VS.NET 2K3 and 6.0 installed and it works just fine here.
You might try checking the permissions on the registry keys - perhaps
for some reason the user cannot read them.

Also, I know you said the reg entries are all there, but what about
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\PostgreSQL ?
(Should be a REG_SZ with a value of 'Installed').

Regards, Dave

Re: PGSQL ODBC Install problems under windows

От
Rob Caulfield
Дата:
Hi Dave,
    thanks for the speedy reply, I've just checked those reg entries and
they are all there (PostrgreSQL, PostgreSQL Legacy and the PostgreSQL
UniCode Beta entry). So I'm still stumped, to be honest it's one of the
weirdest things I've ever seen on Windows. The install has been tried
under both enterprise admin accounts and local admin accounts and still
the same outcome so that rules out insufficient privileges. All I can
think of is that there is some conflict between one of the XP Security
updates and something the PGSQL ODBC installer is trying to do (or does).

The quest continues....... anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I'm stumped as well then. I have it installed on >100 PCs here, all of
which are fully patched using MS Software Update Services...

Regards, Dave.