Обсуждение: ODBC - adding missing FROM clause entry

ODBC - adding missing FROM clause entry

От
Martin_Hurst@dom.com
Дата:
I'm getting this message when I connect from my Win95 pc to my Linux server
running postgres 7.3.
I'm using the latest postgres odbc driver to connect.

The Win95 connection can see and list the tables on the Linux server, but
when I try to open and display the rows, the interface hangs and freezes.

Thanks, for any help and feedback.
-Martin

Notice: Adding missing FROM - clause entry fro table "pg_namespace"

Re: ODBC - adding missing FROM clause entry

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

It's not an error message.

> The Win95 connection can see and list the tables on the Linux server, but
> when I try to open and display the rows, the interface hangs and freezes.

Could you send me the Mylog debug output ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: ODBC - adding missing FROM clause entry

От
"Tambet Matiisen"
Дата:
This is quite odd feature in PostgreSQL. Try this:

select pg_database.datname from pg_user;

You will get all database names, each repeated by number of users and a note:

NOTICE:  Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "pg_database"

You see, in SELECT you referred a table that is not in FROM clause and PostgreSQL is adding it automatically! Seems
prettyconfusing to me, but I didn't dig any further, why is it needed or when it this was included.

  Tambet

Re: ODBC - adding missing FROM clause entry

Дата:
Tambet Matiisen wrote:

> This is quite odd feature in PostgreSQL. Try this:
>
> select pg_database.datname from pg_user;
>
> You will get all database names, each repeated by number of
> users and a note:
>
> NOTICE:  Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "pg_database"
>
> You see, in SELECT you referred a table that is not in FROM
> clause and PostgreSQL is adding it automatically! Seems pretty
> confusing to me, but I didn't dig any further, why is it needed
> or when it this was included.

This feature came from the Berkeley days, so we have had it for a long
time.  In fact, the ODBC code was using it for a few queries which I
just fixed.