Обсуждение: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Will
Дата:
"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing providor.
Unexpected protocol charactor during authentication; Socket has been
closed."
The above is the error I get from ODBC in Visual Basic when hiting "Test
Connection" when connecting via SSH tunnel to the server.

PgAdmin spit out the following Debug info also:
-- Debug output --
4/16/2002 2:25:50 AM - Entering pgSchema:pgServer.Connect("localhost", 5432,
"will", "********")
4/16/2002 2:25:50 AM - Opening cnPostgreSQL:

SERVER=localhost;PORT=5432;UID=will;PWD=*******;DATABASE=parallax;DRIVER={PostgreSQL};READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0;ROWVERSIONING=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0;CONNSETTINGS=;FETCH=100;SOCKET=4096;UNKNOWNSIZES=0;MAXVARCHARSIZE=254;MAXLONGVARCHARSIZE=65536;OPTIMIZER=1;KSQO=1;USEDECLAREFETCH=0;TEXTASLONGVARCHAR=1;UNKNOWNSASLONGVARCHAR=1;BOOLSASCHAR=1;PARSE=0;CANCELASFREESTMT=0;EXTRASYSTABLEPREFIXES=dd_;COMMLOG=1;DEBUG=1;
4/16/2002 2:25:50 AM - Done - 0.5 Secs.
4/16/2002 2:25:50 AM - Error in pgAdmin II:frmConnect.cmdConnect_Click:
-2147217843 - Unexpected protocol character during authentication; Socket
has been closed.
------

This happened after we took down the PostgreSQL database after upgrading to
7.2 to the old 7.1 version long enough to dump a database which we restored
to the 7.2 version... when we brought it back up... all of our applications
no longer worked, nor did PgAdmin II. Although PHP and the PgSQL tools work
fine.

Any ideas?

Will Robertson
Systems Administrator
DemonKarma Networks

This mail was sent by DemonKarma WebMail 1.0

Re: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Will wrote:

> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing providor.
> Unexpected protocol charactor during authentication; Socket has been
> closed."
> The above is the error I get from ODBC in Visual Basic when hiting "Test
> Connection" when connecting via SSH tunnel to the server.

Could you send me the Mylog debug output ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
    http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

Re: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Will
Дата:
MyLog for below occurance is attached.

Will Robertson
Systems Administrator
DemonKarma Networks
Office: (503)234-4731

> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing providor.
> Unexpected protocol charactor during authentication; Socket has been
> closed."
> The above is the error I get from ODBC in Visual Basic when hiting "Test
> Connection" when connecting via SSH tunnel to the server.

Could you send me the Mylog debug output ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

This mail was sent by DemonKarma WebMail 1.0

Вложения

Will wrote:

> MyLog for below occurance is attached.

It seems the connection is closed from the server.
Could you see anything in the server's log ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Will
Дата:
nothing shows up in the server logfiles...

Will Robertson
Systems Administrator
DemonKarma Networks

Will wrote:

> nothing shows up in the server logfiles...

Are you logging some debug info ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
    http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

Re: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Will
DEBUG:  shutting down
DEBUG:  database system is shut down
postmaster successfully started
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-04-16 20:52:25 CDT
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/2C747C
DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/2C747C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 1299; next oid: 16869
DEBUG:  database system is ready
--
The above bit is the last entry in the log.

Will Robertson
Systems Administrator
DemonKarma Networks

Will wrote:

> DEBUG:  shutting down
> DEBUG:  database system is shut down
> postmaster successfully started
> DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-04-16 20:52:25 CDT
> DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/2C747C
> DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/2C747C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  next transaction id: 1299; next oid: 16869
> DEBUG:  database system is ready
> --
> The above bit is the last entry in the log.

Could you try the connection without the SSH tunneling ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
    http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/

Re: unexpected protocol charactor during authentication

От
Will
Дата:
--
Will Robertson
Systems Administrator

Ahh... that explains it... the server wasn't accepting the connection. Using
SSH Tunnel.. the tunnel would accept it... but then the other parts of the
communication wouldn't happen.

Thanks,
Will