Обсуждение: Looking for a book on pgsql

Looking for a book on pgsql

От
Chuck Roberts

We have a closed Postgresql 8.4 system, from a vendor, so I don't have access to a shell prompt on that system, but I have access to a psql prompt on that machine.

I'm looking for a book to learn Pgsql, preferably with a CD with it's own db. I cannot copy our company database because it is many gigs and actually takes 24+ hours to copy, and yes, I do need multiple tables to do testing. Can anyone recommend a book for me?

I have windows 7 on my PC if that makes a difference, along with a psql client on the same PC.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for a book on pgsql

От
Keith
Дата:
Not aware of any books that include a CD, but if you're looking for a good intro to postgresql book, I'd recommend O'Reilly's "PostgreSQL Up and Running". Since you're running 8.4, the book may mention some things that aren't available since it's based off 9.2/9.3, so just be aware.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025061.do

Once you're "up and running", I'd recommend the postgresql docs themselves. Once you're familiar with the basics, getting around in the docs is a lot easier. And they're quite extensive.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/index.html

We have a closed Postgresql 8.4 system, from a vendor, so I don't have access to a shell prompt on that system, but I have access to a psql prompt on that machine.

I'm looking for a book to learn Pgsql, preferably with a CD with it's own db. I cannot copy our company database because it is many gigs and actually takes 24+ hours to copy, and yes, I do need multiple tables to do testing. Can anyone recommend a book for me?

I have windows 7 on my PC if that makes a difference, along with a psql client on the same PC.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for a book on pgsql

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Chuck Roberts
<croberts@gilsongraphics.com> wrote:
> We have a closed Postgresql 8.4 system, from a vendor, so I don't have
> access to a shell prompt on that system, but I have access to a psql prompt
> on that machine.

FYI, 8.4 has been EOL'd, and will be increasingly out of touch with
best practices and development methods.  This is something to bring up
with your vendor.

merlin

Re: Looking for a book on pgsql

От
Ziggy Skalski
Дата:
We have a closed Postgresql 8.4 system, from a vendor, so I don't have access to a shell prompt on that system, but I have access to a psql prompt on that machine.

I'm looking for a book to learn Pgsql, preferably with a CD with it's own db. I cannot copy our company database because it is many gigs and actually takes 24+ hours to copy, and yes, I do need multiple tables to do testing. Can anyone recommend a book for me?

I have windows 7 on my PC if that makes a difference, along with a psql client on the same PC.

Thank you.

This book is pretty decent too if you're set on using a Postgres 8.x version, though as others have mentioned ,it's rather dated by now...
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Databases-PostgreSQL-Novice-Professional/dp/1590594789/