Обсуждение: SQL - learning trail?

SQL - learning trail?

От
Paul Linehan
Дата:
Hi all,

Are there any SQL tutorials for PostgreSQL? A sample database/schema
like the scott emp schema in Oracle?

Ideally, what I'm looking for is an SQL "trail" like the Java trails on
the old Sun website.

Is there any such beast? Are there any good generic sites out there? I'm
not a complete noob when it comes to SQL so I'd be interested in
sites that are medium to advanced level.

TIA and rgs,

Paul...

--

linehanp@tcd.ie

Mob: 00 353 86 864 5772

Re: SQL - learning trail?

От
James Hartley
Дата:
Are there any SQL tutorials for PostgreSQL? A sample database/schema
like the scott emp schema in Oracle?

PostgreSQL's online manual, found at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

...may or may not be what you are looking for, but as for PostgreSQL information available in one location, this document cannot be beat.

While I can understand that the size of the document can be overwhelming to newcomers, focus on the Chapter 1 tutorial first.  As you come up with questions, look into other parts of the document for more detailed information.

Re: SQL - learning trail?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Paul Linehan wrote on 02.07.2012 18:39:
> Are there any SQL tutorials for PostgreSQL? A sample database/schema
> like the scott emp schema in Oracle?
>
> Ideally, what I'm looking for is an SQL "trail" like the Java trails on
> the old Sun website.
>
> Is there any such beast? Are there any good generic sites out there? I'm
> not a complete noob when it comes to SQL so I'd be interested in
> sites that are medium to advanced level.

In addition to what James said: you might want to try SQLZoo: http://sqlzoo.net/

You can choose to run the samples using PostgreSQL.

Regards
Thomas

Re: SQL - learning trail?

От
Monte Milanuk
Дата:
On 07/02/2012 09:49 AM, James Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Paul Linehan <linehanp@tcd.ie
> <mailto:linehanp@tcd.ie>> wrote:
>
>     Are there any SQL tutorials for PostgreSQL? A sample database/schema
>     like the scott emp schema in Oracle?
>

> PostgreSQL's online manual, found at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
>
> ...may or may not be what you are looking for, but as for PostgreSQL
> information available in one location, this document cannot be beat.
>
> While I can understand that the size of the document can be overwhelming
> to newcomers, focus on the Chapter 1 tutorial first.  As you come up
> with questions, look into other parts of the document for more detailed
> information.

Being in a similar situation (new to PostgreSQL)... I would say that
while the tutorials in the first section of the PostgreSQL manual are
great for SQL stuff... something similar for new users stuck
*administering* their own postgres server would be very useful.

Yes, the Fine Manual has all the necessary information... *if* you know
what to look for.

YMMV,

Monte

Re: SQL - learning trail?

Дата:
Monte Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> writes:
> Being in a similar situation (new to PostgreSQL)... I would say that
> while the tutorials in the first section of the PostgreSQL manual are
> great for SQL stuff... something similar for new users stuck
> *administering* their own postgres server would be very useful.

Yeah.  It's kind of hard though because many of the details you need to
know vary depending on platform and packaging.

            regards, tom lane

Re: SQL - learning trail?

От
Monte Milanuk
Дата:
On 07/02/2012 12:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Monte Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> writes:
>> Being in a similar situation (new to PostgreSQL)... I would say that
>> while the tutorials in the first section of the PostgreSQL manual are
>> great for SQL stuff... something similar for new users stuck
>> *administering* their own postgres server would be very useful.
>
> Yeah.  It's kind of hard though because many of the details you need to
> know vary depending on platform and packaging.

I was thinking of some of the more basic tasks - like creating users,
granting permissions, etc. that are not - so far as I know - really
platform specific.  Things like creating a new database, creating a new
non-super user and granting them all privileges on said database.  Yes
its in the Fine Manual - in various places - but a basic worked example
/ tutorial for people who have just installed PostgreSQL on their own
machines and don't have someone more experienced running things for them
would be *very* helpful - in my opinion, being one of said new people.

I've relied heavily on some books, and still ran into some problems
(partly due to coming from a basic working knowledge of MySQL and *not*
having to mess with schema-level privileges along with database/table)
along these lines as even those seem to gloss/skip over such areas.