Обсуждение: When to use postgreSQL

When to use postgreSQL

От
Man Lam
Дата:
Hi guys,

Our company is looking into the possibility of using it.

Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable for using postgreSQL. From the internet, it seems like it is good for web development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?
And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing better than the other dbs ?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ken

Re: When to use postgreSQL

От
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Дата:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 23:37:19 +0800, Man Lam <mklam3@gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable
> for using postgreSQL. From the internet, it seems like it is good for web
> development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?

You'll need a hosting that supplies you with Pg databases.

> And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing
> better than the other dbs ?

Almost all: consider Pg (very) close to an open-source oracle.

JY
--
The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to eat.
        -- John McNulty

Re: When to use postgreSQL

От
Jan Eden
Дата:
Hi Ken,

On 04.01.2011, at 16:37, Man Lam wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Our company is looking into the possibility of using it.
>
> Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable for using postgreSQL. From the internet, it
seemslike it is good for web development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?
> And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing better than the other dbs ?

I just switched three Django projects from MySQL to PostgreSQL mainly because of two resaons:

- licensing/development outlook (I don't like the direction MySQL takes under Oracle)
- enforced data integrity (I shot myself in the foot a couple of times with MySQL)

After the switch, I have not seen a performance difference (yet) compared to MySQL 5.1 (MyISAM), but I never cared to
optimizemy database server and MySQL promises to be a lot faster.

Kind regards,
Jan

Re: When to use postgreSQL

От
Lew
Дата:
On 01/04/2011 10:37 AM, Man Lam wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Our company is looking into the possibility of using it.
>
> Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable for
> using postgreSQL. From the internet, it seems like it is good for web

It's suitable for any application that needs a database, large or small.

> development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?
> And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing better
> than the other dbs ?

It's probably going to be roughly as fast as any general-purpose relational
database you use, if not faster, but that depends on the particular usage
patterns and how you set the tuning parameters for the various systems.

--
Lew
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.