Обсуждение: Getting tables from one DB to another

Getting tables from one DB to another

От
JORGE MALDONADO
Дата:
We actually have an application with its database working and we are developing a new version of such an application based on the same database but with minor changes in a few tables. When finished, we want to get the data in the actual DB to the new one but we see a liitle problem. Each table has a serial field which works as a primary key and we would like to keep these fields with their original values in the new tables. I suppose I cannot use pg_restore from a backup because of the difference among some old tables and some new ones; maybe one way could be to write an application that reads each record from the old table and inserts it to the new one but in this case the serial field could be different from the original. How can I achieve this goal?

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

Re: Getting tables from one DB to another

От
Aarni
Дата:
On Wednesday 15 December 2010 01:07:33 JORGE MALDONADO wrote:
> We actually have an application with its database working and we are
> developing a new version of such an application based on the same database
> but with minor changes in a few tables. When finished, we want to get the
> data in the actual DB to the new one but we see a liitle problem. Each
>  table has a serial field which works as a primary key and we would like to
>  keep these fields with their original values in the new tables. I suppose
>  I cannot use pg_restore from a backup because of the difference among some
>  old tables and some new ones; maybe one way could be to write an
>  application that reads each record from the old table and inserts it to
>  the new one but in this case the serial field could be different from the
>  original. How can I achieve this goal?
>
> Respectfully,
> Jorge Maldonado

Hi Jorge,

You could you use eg. (Pg 8.4)

SELECT last_value, is_called FROM table_field_id_seq;

to see what is the last value in the old db and if it is called and then

SELECT pg_catalog.setval ('table_field_id_seq', 1234, true);

to set that serial in the new db.

BR,

Aarni

--