Обсуждение: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

От
"Turner, John J"

One of the current projects Im working on calls for a database with temporal support, thus I came across PostgreSQL being informed that it was headed in the right direction and as far as I can see, goes further than mySQL in that respect.

Ive since installed the postgreSQL 9.0 Beta version and have it running on my workstation.

I found the temporal package at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/temporal which I downloaded.  My question is What do I need to do with these files in order to integrate the temporal support with my version of PostgreSQL?

I see some .c files, .html files, etc., but Im at a loss as to how to get these tied into the platform.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

Дата:
"Turner, John J" <JJTurner@statestreet.com> writes:
> I've since installed the postgreSQL 9.0 Beta version and have it running
> on my workstation.

> I found the temporal package at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/temporal
> which I downloaded.  My question is "What do I need to do with these
> files in order to integrate the temporal support with my version of
> PostgreSQL?"

> I see some .c files, .html files, etc., but I'm at a loss as to how to
> get these tied into the platform.  Any help greatly appreciated.

How did you install Postgres ... build from source, or install a
distribution's package?  If the former, you probably have everything
you need, if the latter, maybe not.  You will need Postgres' developer
support files (typically in a separate subpackage such as
postgresql-devel), as well as a C compiler and related tools.  Make
sure you have a program called pg_config in your path, and that the
directory "pg_config --includedir-server" points to contains a bunch of
files.

Once you've got everything, building the extension from source code
should be a matter of "make" and "make install".  You might have to do
the "make install" as root depending on where the files are going.
If "make" fails it's most likely because you're missing some tools.

After that, run the installed temporal.sql file in whichever database(s)
you want the datatype and functions available in.  This part needs to be
done as database superuser.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

От
"Turner, John J"
Дата:
You've run into an extreme greenhead here, so my thanks to you for your
consideration.  I'm also at sea with this forum, so I'm not sure how my
replies need to be addressed/directed in order to maintain the thread
online?

Re: postgres, I simply installed the package, not the source code.

So based on that and your advice, I would need to install the
Development package (postgresql-devel)?  I don't see anything directly
relating to that on the Downloads site...

I have a "pg_config.exe" located in c:\program
files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin... beyond that I'm stumped at the moment, I'm
afraid

Thanks,
John

> I've since installed the postgreSQL 9.0 Beta version and have it
running
> on my workstation.

> I found the temporal package at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/temporal
> which I downloaded.  My question is "What do I need to do with these
> files in order to integrate the temporal support with my version of
> PostgreSQL?"

> I see some .c files, .html files, etc., but I'm at a loss as to how to
> get these tied into the platform.  Any help greatly appreciated.

How did you install Postgres ... build from source, or install a
distribution's package?  If the former, you probably have everything
you need, if the latter, maybe not.  You will need Postgres' developer
support files (typically in a separate subpackage such as
postgresql-devel), as well as a C compiler and related tools.  Make
sure you have a program called pg_config in your path, and that the
directory "pg_config --includedir-server" points to contains a bunch of
files.

Once you've got everything, building the extension from source code
should be a matter of "make" and "make install".  You might have to do
the "make install" as root depending on where the files are going.
If "make" fails it's most likely because you're missing some tools.

After that, run the installed temporal.sql file in whichever database(s)
you want the datatype and functions available in.  This part needs to be
done as database superuser.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

Дата:
"Turner, John J" <JJTurner@statestreet.com> writes:
> I have a "pg_config.exe" located in c:\program
> files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin... beyond that I'm stumped at the moment, I'm
> afraid

Oh, then this is Windows?  Sorry, my comments were for Unix-ish
platforms.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about building software
on Windows ... but you probably don't want to get involved with that
anyway.  You should look around and see if there's a prepackaged
version of the temporal module available already.  If you used the
one-click Windows installer for PG, the "StackBuilder" component
might have it available.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
JJTurner@statestreet.com ("Turner, John J") writes:
> You've run into an extreme greenhead here, so my thanks to you for your
> consideration.  I'm also at sea with this forum, so I'm not sure how my
> replies need to be addressed/directed in order to maintain the thread
> online?
>
> Re: postgres, I simply installed the package, not the source code.
>
> So based on that and your advice, I would need to install the
> Development package (postgresql-devel)?  I don't see anything directly
> relating to that on the Downloads site...
>
> I have a "pg_config.exe" located in c:\program
> files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin... beyond that I'm stumped at the moment, I'm
> afraid

You shouldn't need the whole PostgreSQL source code tree.

PGTemporal, if it's code similar to...
   <http://github.com/davidfetter/PostgreSQL-Temporal>
  or
   <http://temporal.projects.postgresql.org/>
uses what's called "PGXS" to minimize the profile of how much of the
PostgreSQL sources you need around.

You can find docs on PGXS here:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-c.html

It certainly does need pg_config to know how to get stuff linked into
the PostgreSQL instance; the fact you have that seems promising.

You probably want to add a line to the PGTemporal Makefile to tell it to
use PGXS.   See the one marked "cbbrowne" :-).

MODULES = period
DATA_built = period.sql
DATA = uninstall_period.sql

USE_PGXS=yes    # cbbrowne sez add this.  This says to use PGXS

ifdef USE_PGXS
PG_CONFIG = pg_config
PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
include $(PGXS)
else
subdir = contrib/temporal
top_builddir = ../..
include $(top_builddir)/src/Makefile.global
include $(top_srcdir)/contrib/contrib-global.mk
endif

You need some dev tools installed, notably suitable C compiler, GNU
Make.  I don't know how one arranges that on Windows, alas.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
The statistics on  sanity are that one out of  every four Americans is

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

От
"Turner, John J"
Дата:
Tom, thank again -

PG did install with StackBuilder, but when I try to use it to pull the
list of available applications, I'm getting an error message:

Failed to open the application list:
http://www.postgresql.org/applications-v2.xml

Error: The URL specified could not be opened

When I navigate to the URL using my browser, it simply displays html
code...?

> I have a "pg_config.exe" located in c:\program
> files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin... beyond that I'm stumped at the moment, I'm
> afraid

Oh, then this is Windows?  Sorry, my comments were for Unix-ish
platforms.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about building software
on Windows ... but you probably don't want to get involved with that
anyway.  You should look around and see if there's a prepackaged
version of the temporal module available already.  If you used the
one-click Windows installer for PG, the "StackBuilder" component
might have it available.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing temporal "period" data type and support functions

Дата:
"Turner, John J" <JJTurner@statestreet.com> writes:
> PG did install with StackBuilder, but when I try to use it to pull the
> list of available applications, I'm getting an error message:

> Failed to open the application list:
> http://www.postgresql.org/applications-v2.xml

> Error: The URL specified could not be opened

Hmm.  I passed this on to the relevant folk at EDB, but it's late in the
day there, nothing may get done about it till tomorrow.

            regards, tom lane