Обсуждение: managing table partitions automatically

managing table partitions automatically

От
"Ertel, Steve"

Hello All,

I am beginning to partition some database tables and need some help thinking things through.  After evaluating my data, it appears that the best partition would be based on year and month.  I was planning to create my tables in the format of tablename_yyyy_mm.

I planned to create a parent table and child tables (similar to the example at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-partitioning.html).  I would create the child tables for the range of my data and maybe even a few months in advance.  I have all of the insert, update, and delete rules worked out to manage the data.  The data will be routed to tables based on a date that is passed to the table (e.g. start_time).  The date can be in the future or in the past.

The problem is that the databases are running on remote servers and I will not have access to them.  I need to find a way to automatically create the child tables, indexes, and rules.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I am stuck.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: managing table partitions automatically

От
"Ertel, Steve"

Still haven't heard from anyone.

I could really use your help.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

[...]

"Obe, Regina"
Дата:
Steve,
I usually use an SQL script that generates SQL to dynamically create named tables and other DDL like stuff - something like described in the 2 below articles.  In your case you'd probably want to use generate_series() to generate table names based on year and month.

(look at the below section of the above to see how to use generate_series to generate date parts)

Also have an example of dates and generate_series in the cheat sheet

Hope that helps,
Regina

[...]

The substance of this message, including any attachments, may be confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure pursuant to Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this email and join us in saving paper.

Re: managing table partitions automatically

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:33:11AM -0600, Ertel, Steve wrote:
> I realize that I could do this from a background process.  The problem
> is that a user may create a record where the start_time is further in
> the future or the past than I have tables to hold it.  The application
> that I am working on contains schedule functionality that allows people
> to schedule events for an unlimited time into the future.
>
> I could create a TRIGGER or RULE that would be executed for each insert
> that checks for a tables existence, but how do I control the order that
> the rules or triggers are executed in?
>
> Steve

1) Please avoid top-posting
2) Use triggers instead of rules wherever possible
3) From the docs: "If more than one trigger is defined for the same
event on the same relation, the triggers will be fired in alphabetical
order by trigger name. In the case of before triggers, the
possibly-modified row returned by each trigger becomes the input to the
next trigger. If any before trigger returns NULL, the operation is
abandoned for that row and subsequent triggers are not fired."

- Josh / eggyknap

Вложения

Re: managing table partitions automatically

От
"Ertel, Steve"
Дата: