Обсуждение: DB Analysis

DB Analysis

От
Arjun Datta
Дата:
Hi,

I need to analyse a development DB which runs a whole slew of queries.

It is Postgres 8.2 running on Fedora Core 8 2.6.23.1-42 on a 64 bit AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ machine with 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM.

I need to figure out how long queries take, should take, etc etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction - either a resource that I can read and get an idea from or a tool I can run.

For example, if someone is running a piece of code that affects say, 1000 records in a table, how long should it take ?  Is it possible to answer that question ? If so, how would I analyse it ?
Arjun Datta

Re: DB Analysis

От
Mark Roberts
Дата:
On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:40 -0400, Arjun Datta wrote:

> For example, if someone is running a piece of code that affects say,
> 1000 records in a table, how long should it take ?  Is it possible to
> answer that question ? If so, how would I analyse it ?

As for what each query should do..  I'm not sure that this question has
an answer.  It would relate entirely to your database schema and how you
write your queries, and I am not aware of any benchmarks or metrics for
this kind of information.

On a side note, there's plenty of resources as to what each tuning
parameter does and what the optimals are for many situations.

-Mark