Обсуждение: Performances

Performances

От
Cedric BUSCHINI
Дата:
Hello everyone,

A quick question:
- how long does it take you to perform that query :
"SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A_TABLE;"

There are like 56113000 rows in the table.

Thanks

Cedric

Re: Performances

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Thu, dem 28.12.2006, um 10:59:39 +0100 mailte Cedric BUSCHINI folgendes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A quick question:
> - how long does it take you to perform that query :
> "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A_TABLE;"

Depends:

test=# \timing
Timing is on.
test=# select count(*) from a_table ;
 count
-------
     0
(1 row)

Time: 1.700 ms
test=#

> There are like 56113000 rows in the table.

A query like above performs a seq. scan on the table - this needs time.
You can get an estimation for this value by asking pg_class.reltuples.

select reltuples from pg_class where relname='a_table';

But this is only a estimation, depends on actual statistics.
It is updated by VACUUM, ANALYZE, and a few DDL commands such as CREATE

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47215,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

Re: [ADMIN] Performances

От
Bricklen Anderson
Дата:
Cedric BUSCHINI wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A quick question:
> - how long does it take you to perform that query :
> "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A_TABLE;"

Not long  :)

dev5=# SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A_TABLE;
ERROR:  relation "a_table" does not exist

Re: [ADMIN] Performances

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Cedric BUSCHINI wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A quick question:
> - how long does it take you to perform that query :
> "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM A_TABLE;"

Longer than I want to wait in any case.  In most cases you can rewrite
that query to something else; what that something looks like, depends on
how exact you want the result to be.  So the question to you is, what do
you want that number for?