Обсуждение: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Nathaniel
Дата:
Hello folks, I'm an SQL novice indeed, but working on the premise
that "No question is too simple for this list" here goes:

This is just a dummy example to make the simple problem I'm trying to
solve as clear as possible. Let's say I have 2 tables: people and
companies.

Company records have a primary key "company_id" that is a serial, and
some other fields such as the company's name.

A person record is simply some text fields (like name) and a foreign
key, "company_id" which ties the person to a company. There is a
foreign key constraint on people that ensures that every person is
tied to a company which exists in the database.

I want to add a new person, "Bugs Bunny", but I know that the company
he work for, "Looney Tunes", is not in the database.

So, I want to add the company "Looney Tunes" (which is auto-assigned
a company_id value), and then extract that id value so that I can use
it in the company_id foreign key field of Bugs Bunny's person record.

What's the simple, multiple concurrent users-safe way of doing this
in postgreSQL?

That's all Folks,

Nat

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Thursday 21 December 2006 07:07, Nathaniel wrote:
> Hello folks, I'm an SQL novice indeed, but working on the premise
> that "No question is too simple for this list" here goes:
>
> This is just a dummy example to make the simple problem I'm trying to
> solve as clear as possible. Let's say I have 2 tables: people and
> companies.
>
> Company records have a primary key "company_id" that is a serial, and
> some other fields such as the company's name.
>
> A person record is simply some text fields (like name) and a foreign
> key, "company_id" which ties the person to a company. There is a
> foreign key constraint on people that ensures that every person is
> tied to a company which exists in the database.
>
> I want to add a new person, "Bugs Bunny", but I know that the company
> he work for, "Looney Tunes", is not in the database.
>
> So, I want to add the company "Looney Tunes" (which is auto-assigned
> a company_id value), and then extract that id value so that I can use
> it in the company_id foreign key field of Bugs Bunny's person record.
>
> What's the simple, multiple concurrent users-safe way of doing this
> in postgreSQL?

You simply add the company to the database, get its ID, and then insert the
person with the appropriate company_id.  That is the simplest way to think
about the process.  This will work for as many concurrent users as you like.

Sean

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Nathaniel
Дата:
> You simply add the company to the database, get its ID, and then
> insert the
> person with the appropriate company_id.  That is the simplest way
> to think
> about the process.  This will work for as many concurrent users as
> you like.

The problem here is that the company_id is the only field that is
guaranteed to uniquely identify a company record: it's possible
(albeit unlikely) that there is another "Looney Tunes" in the company
table, but that one is the lesser-known Canadian company that
manufactures bird whistles, and Bugs Bunny doesn't work for them. As
a dumb human I can tell the difference (perhaps by looking at the
company address field) but my clever computer is more persnickety. So
I don't know how to identify the relevant record from which to "get
its ID" without knowing its ID!

Searching the internet, I found these two examples from an Oracle-
related site and am looking to implement something analagous that
works in postgres, but I'm new to PL/pgSQL and commands like
"nextval" so am struggling.

DECLARE
   l_company_id  companies.company_id%TYPE;
BEGIN
   -- Select the next sequence value.
   SELECT companies_seq.NEXTVAL
   INTO   l_company_id
   FROM   dual;

   -- Use the value to populate the master table.
   INSERT INTO companies (company_id, company_name)
   VALUES (l_company_id, 'Looney Tunes');

   -- Reuse the value to populate the FK link in the detail table.
   INSERT INTO people (company_id, person_name)
   VALUES (l_company_id, 'Bug Bunny');

   COMMIT;
END;

DECLARE
   l_company_id  companies.company_id%TYPE;
BEGIN
   -- Populate the master table, returning the sequence value.
   INSERT INTO companies (company_id, company_name)
   VALUES (companies_seq.NEXTVAL, 'Looney Tunes')
   RETURNING company_id INTO l_company_id;

   -- Use the returned value to populate the FK link in the detail
table.
   INSERT INTO people (company_id, person_name)
   VALUES (l_company_id, 'Bugs Bunny');

   COMMIT;
END;

Can anyone tell me how to translate either (I prefer the latter) into
postgres-compliant SQL?

Many thanks, Nat

Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing. http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Thursday 21 December 2006 08:04, Nathaniel wrote:
> > You simply add the company to the database, get its ID, and then
> > insert the
> > person with the appropriate company_id.  That is the simplest way
> > to think
> > about the process.  This will work for as many concurrent users as
> > you like.
>
> The problem here is that the company_id is the only field that is
> guaranteed to uniquely identify a company record: it's possible
> (albeit unlikely) that there is another "Looney Tunes" in the company
> table, but that one is the lesser-known Canadian company that
> manufactures bird whistles, and Bugs Bunny doesn't work for them. As
> a dumb human I can tell the difference (perhaps by looking at the
> company address field) but my clever computer is more persnickety. So
> I don't know how to identify the relevant record from which to "get
> its ID" without knowing its ID!
>
> Searching the internet, I found these two examples from an Oracle-
> related site and am looking to implement something analagous that
> works in postgres, but I'm new to PL/pgSQL and commands like
> "nextval" so am struggling.
>

> DECLARE
>    l_company_id  companies.company_id%TYPE;
> BEGIN
>    -- Select the next sequence value.
>    SELECT companies_seq.NEXTVAL
>    INTO   l_company_id
>    FROM   dual;
>
>    -- Use the value to populate the master table.
>    INSERT INTO companies (company_id, company_name)
>    VALUES (l_company_id, 'Looney Tunes');
>
>    -- Reuse the value to populate the FK link in the detail table.
>    INSERT INTO people (company_id, person_name)
>    VALUES (l_company_id, 'Bug Bunny');
>
>    COMMIT;
> END;
>

> DECLARE
>    l_company_id  companies.company_id%TYPE;
> BEGIN
>    -- Populate the master table, returning the sequence value.
>    INSERT INTO companies (company_id, company_name)
>    VALUES (companies_seq.NEXTVAL, 'Looney Tunes')
>    RETURNING company_id INTO l_company_id;
>
>    -- Use the returned value to populate the FK link in the detail
> table.
>    INSERT INTO people (company_id, person_name)
>    VALUES (l_company_id, 'Bugs Bunny');
>
>    COMMIT;
> END;
>
> Can anyone tell me how to translate either (I prefer the latter) into
> postgres-compliant SQL?

See here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-insert.html

You can use this returned ID in your next insert.  Alternatively, you can
select from the associated company sequence to get the "next" value for use
in both insert statements (company and then person).

The beginning of your email represents a larger problem, though.  Even though
you have chosen an autoincrementing integer as your primary key, that doesn't
guarantee uniqueness.  In fact, if you use your method of inserting a company
and a person in the say shown in the above examply, you will end up with
exactly as many company entries as person entries.  So, what you really want
to do is to specify what makes a company unique (using a unique key
constraint) so that you can look up a company by that unique key (can be
combination of city, state, and name, for example).  IF and only if the
company does not exist in your database do you do your insert.  Otherwise,
you use the id from your lookup.  This is an important point in database
design.  See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization

Hope that helps.

Sean

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Nathaniel
Дата:
Thanks for the help Sean. You're right about the problem you
identified in my earlier reply concerning uniqueness, but fortunately
the problem is that I picked a bad example---in an attempt to distill
the essence of the problem I was was trying to solve from my own
messy database I oversimplified. What I'm trying to do is model
object inheritance in a relational database by defining 4 tables/
classes: 3 different types of children, each of which has its own
table, and a parent class that's represented by one table which
contains attributes common to all 3 child types. When I want to add
an "object", I add a row to one of the three child tables (depending
on the type of object I'm adding) and then add a record to the parent
class table...so a single object is represented by a row in two
different tables---I think it's called polymorphic association. I've
been struggling to concisely find a way to add the child entry
followed by the parent entry (which has to contain the ID of the child).

So thanks again, especially for the link to the "INSERT"
documentation. The line "If the INSERT command contains a RETURNING
clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement
containing the columns and values defined in the RETURNING list,
computed over the row(s) inserted by the command" seems to be new to
the 8.2 docs---and I've spent hours pouring over the 8.1.4 manual!

Nat

All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Thursday 21 December 2006 09:47, Nathaniel wrote:
> Thanks for the help Sean. You're right about the problem you
> identified in my earlier reply concerning uniqueness, but fortunately
> the problem is that I picked a bad example---in an attempt to distill
> the essence of the problem I was was trying to solve from my own
> messy database I oversimplified. What I'm trying to do is model
> object inheritance in a relational database by defining 4 tables/
> classes: 3 different types of children, each of which has its own
> table, and a parent class that's represented by one table which
> contains attributes common to all 3 child types. When I want to add
> an "object", I add a row to one of the three child tables (depending
> on the type of object I'm adding) and then add a record to the parent
> class table...so a single object is represented by a row in two
> different tables---I think it's called polymorphic association. I've
> been struggling to concisely find a way to add the child entry
> followed by the parent entry (which has to contain the ID of the child).

Actually, your explanation of the problem is very succinct.  Postgresql offers
a direct solution to situations like these.  See here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/ddl-inherit.html

Isn't postgresql an AWESOME product!

> So thanks again, especially for the link to the "INSERT"
> documentation. The line "If the INSERT command contains a RETURNING
> clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement
> containing the columns and values defined in the RETURNING list,
> computed over the row(s) inserted by the command" seems to be new to
> the 8.2 docs---and I've spent hours pouring over the 8.1.4 manual!

It is a new feature in 8.2.  I never asked what version of postgres you were
using.  However, my answer above is a better way to go about your specific
problem, anyway.

Sean

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> Actually, your explanation of the problem is very succinct.  Postgresql offers
> a direct solution to situations like these.  See here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/ddl-inherit.html
>
> Isn't postgresql an AWESOME product!

Not arguments here, but there is one point of caution with postgresql's table inheritance that
should be considered in during schema design.  You cannot use the parent's tables primary key as a
foreign key in other parts of the schema, since the parent table does not >actually< have records
inserted into the child tables.

I have worked out an inheritance solution that does allow this just by using regular tables linked
with foreign keys.  To handle simultaneous insertion and updates across an entire branch of the
hierarchy I used a view made updatable using the rule system.  For deletes I just create the child
tables using cascade deletes.

The advantage using postgresql's tables inheritance is that it is quite easy to set up and it
works very well.  The solution I am using requires alot more planning and setup. :o(

If any are interested I can provide more details on how this is accomplished.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:07:35 +0000,
  Nathaniel <naptrel@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> So, I want to add the company "Looney Tunes" (which is auto-assigned
> a company_id value), and then extract that id value so that I can use
> it in the company_id foreign key field of Bugs Bunny's person record.

The historical way to do this was with nextval and currval. In 8.2 you
also have the option of using the RETURNING clause. Looking at the
documentation, it appears you can't directly use the output of the RETURNING
clause in a subselect. You would need to save the returned value in your
app or define a set returning function to do the company update.

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second table

When I want to add  an "object", I add a row to one of the three child tables (depending
on the type of object I'm adding) and then add a record to the parent  class table...

Nathaniel,

is there some kind of constraint that absolutely requires you to enter the child record before the parent record?

the customary way to do this is to add (or select) the parent, get its unique id, add the child(ren) and insert the
parent'sid into the child's foreign key -> done.  this is pretty simple and straightforward once you get the code
nomenclaturedown.

as Richard pointed out, once you start entering the child first, things get more complex.  i'd recommend evaluating
whetherthe "enter the child record first" constraint is really a required constraint.  if not, drop it, enter the
parentfirst, the child second and bask in the simplicity of the solution.

if a "child first" constraint is absolutely required the, well, you gotta do what you gotta do.  just make sure it *is*
actuallyrequired before going through the hassle of "doing what ya gotta do."

good luck.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Using a serial primary key as a foreign key in a second

От
Patrick
Дата:
>   Nathaniel <naptrel@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> So, I want to add the company "Looney Tunes" (which is auto-assigned
> a company_id value), and then extract that id value so that I can use
> it in the company_id foreign key field of Bugs Bunny's person record.

http://jamesthornton.com/postgres/FAQ/faq-english.html#4.15.2

4.15.2) How do I get the value of a SERIAL insert?

One approach is to retrieve the next SERIAL value from the sequence
object with the nextval() function before inserting and then insert it
explicitly. Using the example table in 4.15.1, an example in a
pseudo-language would look like this:

     new_id = execute("SELECT nextval('person_id_seq')");
     execute("INSERT INTO person (id, name) VALUES (new_id, 'Blaise
Pascal')");

You would then also have the new value stored in new_id for use in other
queries (e.g., as a foreign key to the person table). Note that the name
of the automatically created SEQUENCE object will be named
of your table and your SERIAL column, respectively.

Alternatively, you could retrieve the assigned SERIAL value with the
currval() function after it was inserted by default, e.g.,

     execute("INSERT INTO person (name) VALUES ('Blaise Pascal')");
     new_id = execute("SELECT currval('person_id_seq')");

Finally, you could use the OID returned from the INSERT statement to
look up the default value, though this is probably the least portable
approach. In Perl, using DBI with Edmund Mergl's DBD::Pg module, the oid
value is made available via $sth->{pg_oid_status} after $sth->execute().

   I am not sure if this is exactly what you might need. It also does
not specify if this would cause problems for concurrent users or not.
Hope it helps out though.

Patrick