Обсуждение: psql command line question regarding function of single quote '

psql command line question regarding function of single quote '

От
"Karebac"

I am working my way through a book from APRESS by Matthew and Stones entitled “Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL from Novice to Professional”

The exercises involve issuing commands through the psql command line.  I am using Windows XP on a Dell.

I notice that if I am entereing a command, but accidentally precede the command with ‘ then the command is not performed, and no matter what I type, the prompt continues to show as ‘> rather than ->  .

I have also discovered that if I enter a second ‘, then the command prompt returns to the normal -> and I may once again execute commands.

My question is, what function does the ‘ serve in psql command line?

Thanks!

Re: psql command line question regarding function of single quote '

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Dec 10, 2006, at 20:51 , Karebac wrote:
> My question is, what function does the ‘ serve in psql command line?
To remind you that you have an open string which you need to close
before the command will be complete.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: psql command line question regarding function of single

От
"Karebac"
Дата:
I have found this helpful link to explain the behavior I encountered:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-psql.html

Thanks!

               http://archives.postgresql.org