Обсуждение: Invalid Page Header

Invalid Page Header

От
"Christopher A. Goodfellow"
Дата:
I get an "Invalid page header in block 23 of storetransaction_tbl" error on
my table when running any kind of select.  I do not get the error on other
tables.  I get the error from CGI apps as well as from psql command line.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Christopher A. Goodfellow
Corporate Director
Tealuxe, Inc.
Phone:  508-520-7887
Fax:  508-528-8999
Tea For All

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:39:37AM -0500, Christopher A. Goodfellow wrote:
> I get an "Invalid page header in block 23 of storetransaction_tbl" error on
> my table when running any kind of select.

Something has corrupted part of your table.  If you search the list
archives for "Invalid page header" you'll find suggestions on how
to find the bad block and view its contents as a hex or ASCII dump
(which might or might not be interesting) and how to zero that block
so the database can access the rest of the table without errors (a
destructive process, so don't do it lightly).

http://archives.postgresql.org/

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
Noel Faux
Дата:
Have a look at this post:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-03/msg00002.php

I have the same problem and we are in the process of fix it.

Cheers
Noel

Christopher A. Goodfellow wrote:
> I get an "Invalid page header in block 23 of storetransaction_tbl" error on
> my table when running any kind of select.  I do not get the error on other
> tables.  I get the error from CGI apps as well as from psql command line.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
> Christopher A. Goodfellow
> Corporate Director
> Tealuxe, Inc.
> Phone:  508-520-7887
> Fax:  508-528-8999
> Tea For All

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:38:40AM +1100, Noel Faux wrote:
> Have a look at this post:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-03/msg00002.php
>
> I have the same problem and we are in the process of fix it.

But we should point out that we're not "fixing" it in the sense of
recovering data.  We're wiping out bad blocks; whatever data was
there has been corrupted so we're telling the database to forget
about it.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder how the database would respond to
pulling an old, good copy of the block from a filesystem-level
backup and plugging it into the data file where the bad block is.
I'm sure that could cause problems, but if the data hadn't changed
since before it went bad then I wonder if that might work.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
Noel Faux
Дата:
Michael Fuhr wrote:
I have the same problem and we are in the process of fix it.
But we should point out that we're not "fixing" it in the sense of
recovering data.  We're wiping out bad blocks; whatever data was
there has been corrupted so we're telling the database to forget
about it.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder how the database would respond to
pulling an old, good copy of the block from a filesystem-level
backup and plugging it into the data file where the bad block is.
I'm sure that could cause problems, but if the data hadn't changed
since before it went bad then I wonder if that might work.
That's a very good idea, but one really needs to have setup a robust / regular backup of the database.  Has it been tried before?

Вложения

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
"Christopher A. Goodfellow"
Дата:
I have read quite a bit in the archives and it seems the best way is to
zero_damaged_pages.  I did a search for zero_damaged_pages.  Is it as simple
as adding zero_damaged_pages to postgresql.conf and restarting the
postmaster?

Thank You,
Christopher A. Goodfellow
Corporate Director
Tealuxe, Inc.
Phone:  508-520-7887
Fax:  508-528-8999
Tea For All

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:39:37AM -0500, Christopher A. Goodfellow wrote:
> I get an "Invalid page header in block 23 of storetransaction_tbl" error
on
> my table when running any kind of select.

Something has corrupted part of your table.  If you search the list
archives for "Invalid page header" you'll find suggestions on how
to find the bad block and view its contents as a hex or ASCII dump
(which might or might not be interesting) and how to zero that block
so the database can access the rest of the table without errors (a
destructive process, so don't do it lightly).

http://archives.postgresql.org/

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 01:48:40PM -0500, Christopher A. Goodfellow wrote:
> I have read quite a bit in the archives and it seems the best way is to
> zero_damaged_pages.  I did a search for zero_damaged_pages.  Is it as simple
> as adding zero_damaged_pages to postgresql.conf and restarting the
> postmaster?

To be honest, I'd forgotten about zero_damaged_pages (and I must
have overlooked the recent messages in -hackers that mention it).
I'd prefer to set it in a particular session rather than in
postgresql.conf so it happened only when and where I want.  Here's
an example:

test=# select count(*) from foo;
ERROR:  invalid page header in block 10 of relation "foo"
test=# set zero_damaged_pages to on;
SET
test=# select count(*) from foo;
WARNING:  invalid page header in block 10 of relation "foo"; zeroing out page
WARNING:  invalid page header in block 20 of relation "foo"; zeroing out page
WARNING:  invalid page header in block 30 of relation "foo"; zeroing out page
 count
-------
  9445
(1 row)

test=# set zero_damaged_pages to off;
SET

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Invalid Page Header

Дата:
"Christopher A. Goodfellow" <cgoodfellow@tealuxe.com> writes:
> I have read quite a bit in the archives and it seems the best way is to
> zero_damaged_pages.  I did a search for zero_damaged_pages.  Is it as simple
> as adding zero_damaged_pages to postgresql.conf and restarting the
> postmaster?

Since zero_damaged_pages is a pretty dangerous thing to have on, I
wouldn't recommend turning it on in postgresql.conf.  Instead, turn it
on within a single session using SET, and then scan the tables that you
want to clean up (a VACUUM or SELECT COUNT(*) will do).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Invalid Page Header

От
"Christopher A. Goodfellow"
Дата:
Thank You.  I set zero_damaged_pages to on using the owner user for the
database and did a select count().  The response was fixing.  After setting
zero_damaged_pages to off, I still received the Invalid Page Header error.
I then set zero back to on and did a vacuum on the table.  This solved the
problem.  I did loose one row of data but I expected that.

Thank You,
Christopher A. Goodfellow
Corporate Director
Tealuxe, Inc.