Обсуждение: install

install

От
crdandridge1@comcast.net
Дата:
adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix this?
do i need to download something else with this source package?
  i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux 10.0
thanks

Re: install

От
Sean Davis

On 2/28/06 1:24 PM, "crdandridge1@comcast.net" <crdandridge1@comcast.net>
wrote:

> adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix this?
> do i need to download something else with this source package?
>   i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux 10.0
> thanks

If you want to install from source, my guess from your description is that
you missed some steps.  You will probably find that reading this chapter
from the manual is worth it.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/installation.html

Sean

Re: install

От
"Lane Van Ingen"
Дата:
Don't know what kind of Linux you are running, but I am under Slackware 10.0
and adduser is found in /usr/sbin. Is that directory in your search path?

Use following command to find out:
   echo $PATH
       or
   env

adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix
this?
do i need to download something else with this source package?
  i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux 10.0
thanks

       match

Re: install

Дата:
> On 2/28/06 1:24 PM, "crdandridge1@comcast.net" <crdandridge1@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix this?

Are you sure adduser is in your PATH?  On my Linux box it lives in
/usr/sbin which is not in the default PATH.

If you aren't familiar with basic admin tasks like creating new user
accounts, you might want to find yourself a book on Linux someplace...

            regards, tom lane

Re: install

От
Christoph Della Valle
Дата:
sounds a bit silly, but are you sure you tried to add user as ROOT?
"command not found" mostly occurs with insufficient rights

crdandridge1@comcast.net schrieb:
> adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix this?
> do i need to download something else with this source package?
>   i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux 10.0
> thanks

>        match

Re: install

От
crdandridge1@comcast.net
Дата:
i am trying to add user as root and i'm still getting that error message...i'm
just about ready to give up on postgres b/c i can't get past this step of the
installation guide of the manual.

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 01:41, Christoph Della Valle wrote:
> sounds a bit silly, but are you sure you tried to add user as ROOT?
> "command not found" mostly occurs with insufficient rights
>
> crdandridge1@comcast.net schrieb:
> > adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix
> > this? do i need to download something else with this source package?
> >   i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux
> > 10.0 thanks

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >        match

Re: install

От
crdandridge1@comcast.net
Дата:
silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
"useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever setting
up one...any ideas?

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 08:51, crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:
> i am trying to add user as root and i'm still getting that error
> message...i'm just about ready to give up on postgres b/c i can't get past
> this step of the installation guide of the manual.
>
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 01:41, Christoph Della Valle wrote:
> > sounds a bit silly, but are you sure you tried to add user as ROOT?
> > "command not found" mostly occurs with insufficient rights
> >
> > crdandridge1@comcast.net schrieb:
> > > adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i
> > > fix this? do i need to download something else with this source
> > > package? i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running
> > > linux 10.0 thanks
> > >
> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the
> > > planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining
> > > column's datatypes do not match

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: install

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
Try a google search for "add new user OS" where OS is your operating system.

Sean

On 3/1/06 8:51 AM, "crdandridge1@comcast.net" <crdandridge1@comcast.net>
wrote:

> i am trying to add user as root and i'm still getting that error message...i'm
> just about ready to give up on postgres b/c i can't get past this step of the
> installation guide of the manual.
>
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 01:41, Christoph Della Valle wrote:
>> sounds a bit silly, but are you sure you tried to add user as ROOT?
>> "command not found" mostly occurs with insufficient rights
>>
>> crdandridge1@comcast.net schrieb:
>>> adduser postgres comes back with error "command not found" how can i fix
>>> this? do i need to download something else with this source package?
>>>   i installed 8.1.3, i guess from source on ftp, and i'm running linux
>>> 10.0 thanks
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>>        match

>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: install

От
Seneca Cunningham
Дата:
crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:
> silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever setting
> up one...any ideas?

Check your distro's documentation about useradd.  There probably is no
password set for the account.

Check to see if postgres has a shell set up in /etc/passwd.  If there
is, you can "su - postgres" as root or "sudo su -  postgres" as a
nonroot user with sufficient sudo privileges.  If there is no shell for
the account, use chsh to set one before trying to switch users.

Also, linux's current stable release is 2.6.15.4.  While "linux 10.0"
does reduce the number of possible distributions, you would be more
likely to get help relating to the distro you're using if you say which
one it is.

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning@ca.afilias.info

Re: install

Дата:
crdandridge1@comcast.net writes:
> silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever setting
> up one...any ideas?

If you're looking for an easy installation process, why don't you use
one of the rpm or deb-style packagings of Postgres, instead of trying
to build the raw source code?

The short answer to your question above is "su to root first then
postgres", but it's obvious from the questions you're asking that
you're very unfamiliar with linux system administration, so I'm
wondering why you're insisting on doing it the hard way...

            regards, tom lane

Re: install

От
crdandridge1@comcast.net
Дата:
the distro i'm using is suse 10.0

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 10:32, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:
> > silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> > "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> > postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever
> > setting up one...any ideas?
>
> Check your distro's documentation about useradd.  There probably is no
> password set for the account.
>
> Check to see if postgres has a shell set up in /etc/passwd.  If there
> is, you can "su - postgres" as root or "sudo su -  postgres" as a
> nonroot user with sufficient sudo privileges.  If there is no shell for
> the account, use chsh to set one before trying to switch users.
>
> Also, linux's current stable release is 2.6.15.4.  While "linux 10.0"
> does reduce the number of possible distributions, you would be more
> likely to get help relating to the distro you're using if you say which
> one it is.

Re: install

От
crdandridge1@comcast.net
Дата:
ok, where can i get an rpm package for postgres?

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 11:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> crdandridge1@comcast.net writes:
> > silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> > "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> > postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever
> > setting up one...any ideas?
>
> If you're looking for an easy installation process, why don't you use
> one of the rpm or deb-style packagings of Postgres, instead of trying
> to build the raw source code?
>
> The short answer to your question above is "su to root first then
> postgres", but it's obvious from the questions you're asking that
> you're very unfamiliar with linux system administration, so I'm
> wondering why you're insisting on doing it the hard way...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: install

От
"Lane Van Ingen"
Дата:
Go to www.postgres.org
Click on Downloads
      FTP Browser
       Binary
       (the version you want)
     (operating system - linux or windows)
       etc.

ok, where can i get an rpm package for postgres?

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 11:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> crdandridge1@comcast.net writes:
> > silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> > "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> > postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever
> > setting up one...any ideas?
>
> If you're looking for an easy installation process, why don't you use
> one of the rpm or deb-style packagings of Postgres, instead of trying
> to build the raw source code?
>
> The short answer to your question above is "su to root first then
> postgres", but it's obvious from the questions you're asking that
> you're very unfamiliar with linux system administration, so I'm
> wondering why you're insisting on doing it the hard way...
>
>             regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: install

От
Дата:
postgres.org -> Downloads -> Via FTP -> Binary _v8.1.3
-> linux -> RPMs _Fedora or Redhat (not sure if
eaither will work).

Doesn't Suse Linux have a package manager?  did you
try searching your package manager's repository for
postgres 8.1?  i'd bet it is available.

you come off as new to linux (i'm relatively new
myself).  do you know that you can install and
configure a development box using winxp?

that's what i use right now (and i have specific
instructions to do so - let me know if you want them).
 i'm planning to move my dev activities to linux,
however, if i had to learn all i have learned over the
past year *and* been forced up the linux learning
curve at the same time, life would've been even more
challenging.

best of luck.

--- crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:

> ok, where can i get an rpm package for postgres?
>
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 11:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> > crdandridge1@comcast.net writes:
> > > silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the
> command i needed to use was
> > > "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at
> the part where i do "su -
> > > postgres" and its asking me for a password but i
> don't remember ever
> > > setting up one...any ideas?
> >
> > If you're looking for an easy installation
> process, why don't you use
> > one of the rpm or deb-style packagings of
> Postgres, instead of trying
> > to build the raw source code?
> >
> > The short answer to your question above is "su to
> root first then
> > postgres", but it's obvious from the questions
> you're asking that
> > you're very unfamiliar with linux system
> administration, so I'm
> > wondering why you're insisting on doing it the
> hard way...
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: install - OFF TOPIC

От
Дата:
> postgres.org -> Downloads -> Via FTP -> Binary
> _v8.1.3
> -> linux -> RPMs _Fedora or Redhat (not sure if
> eaither will work).
>
> Doesn't Suse Linux have a package manager?  did you
> try searching your package manager's repository for
> postgres 8.1?  i'd bet it is available.
>
> you come off as new to linux (i'm relatively new
> myself).  do you know that you can install and
> configure a development box using winxp?
>
> that's what i use right now (and i have specific
> instructions to do so - let me know if you want
> them).
>  i'm planning to move my dev activities to linux,
> however, if i had to learn all i have learned over
> the
> past year *and* been forced up the linux learning
> curve at the same time, life would've been even more
> challenging.
>
> best of luck.
>
> --- crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:

the address above isn't recognized by yahoo, so i
can't send you an email directly.  therefore, i posted
this here - even though it is off topic:

check out linuxquestions.org.  i'm dual booting my
home box with simply mepis / winxp.  mepis is a debian
based distrobution.

i chose debian b/c of their excellent package manager
apt-get and its gui interface, synaptic.

suse is supposed ot br pretty decent, too, although,
i'm not familiar with it.

my apache / php / postgresql winxp install
instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

i'm not sure that is what you want, though, if you are
wanting gnucash.  you could install cygwin (linux
emulator running in windows), but that defeats the
purpose since you'd still have to learn linux.

have you tried downloading gnucash and installing it?

here is a google of "yast tutorial":

http://www.google.com/search?hs=3DG&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=yast+tutorial&btnG=Search

i wouldn't be surprised if it installed and configured
postgresql for you.

my first stop would be to head over to
linuxquestions.org -> forums -> linux distributions
(suse/novell) and ask how to install and configure
gnucash.

my bet is that there are folks that will help you get
this done.  you could also google "gnucash install
suse" and you might get cookbook install instructions.

best of luck.