Обсуждение: db connection problem (fedora core 3, pgsql 8.0.3)

db connection problem (fedora core 3, pgsql 8.0.3)

От
Дата:
hi all,

i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.

i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.

i typed in

"psql -d mydb"

and received an error message that "user" isn't a
user.

does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

tia...

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: db connection problem (fedora core 3, pgsql 8.0.3)

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On 9/23/05 1:08 PM, "operationsengineer1@yahoo.com"
<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
> pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.
>
> i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
> fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.
>
> i typed in
>
> "psql -d mydb"
>
> and received an error message that "user" isn't a
> user.
>
> does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Did someone do a createuser on your new server for the "user" in question?

Sean

Re: db connection problem (fedora core 3, pgsql 8.0.3)

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Sep 23, 2005, at 1:08 PM, <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com>
<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i vpn into the company network, then i sign into the
> fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.
>
> i typed in
>
> "psql -d mydb"
>
> and received an error message that "user" isn't a
> user.
>
> does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

If you don't supply a specific user, the psql tries to use the
current shell user name as the PostgreSQL user. So if "user" is not a
real PostgreSQL user, you need to specify the user explicitly:

psql -d mydb -U pgusername

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: db connection problem (fedora core 3, pgsql 8.0.3)

От
Дата:
> On 9/23/05 1:08 PM, "operationsengineer1@yahoo.com"
> <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > i'm trying to acces our new in-house pgsql server.
> > pgsql 8.0.3 is running on fc3.
> >
> > i vpn into the company network, then i sign into
> the
> > fc3 server a "user" via an accuterm session.
> >
> > i typed in
> >
> > "psql -d mydb"
> >
> > and received an error message that "user" isn't a
> > user.
> >
> > does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
>
> Did someone do a createuser on your new server for
> the "user" in question?
>
> Sean

Sean, no.  is this likely the problem?  do linux user
names also have to be created in the db for folks who
will use psql, pgadmin, etc.?

tia...