Обсуждение: Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

От
Don Parris
Дата:
Greetings,

I'm coming over from MySQL.  I'm running SUSE Linux 9.2, running PGSQL 7.4.8.

In MySQL, I could use a simple batch file to run all my table creation
statements:
mysql -u user -p mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

Is this possible with PGSQL?  Can I do this, for instance:
psql -W mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

and get all my tables created?

Or is this why there are a dozen languages for server programming?  If
redirecting the input from a batchfile is possible, please point me to
the right documentation..  If not, I'll go back to the languages
section of the manual.  Many thanks in advance.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/

Re: Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

От
brew@theMode.com
Дата:
Don....

> In MySQL, I could use a simple batch file to run all my table creation
> statements:
> mysql -u user -p mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql
>
> Is this possible with PGSQL?  Can I do this, for instance:
> psql -W mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql
>
> and get all my tables created?

Yes.

I always have to play with it to get the command line right.  And then
when loading a mysql dump into postgreSQL I have to play with it
some more.

What works best for me is to put drop table statements in at the begining
of the dump, then I keep loading it in over and over, each time
noting the errors and correcting the definitions until I get the table
defined and the data loaded.

The data types are slightly different mostly.

There is a script to go from mysql to postgreSQL somewhere, but I've never
used it.  Always did it by hand.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Re: Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Jul 14, 2005, at 1:55 AM, Don Parris wrote:

> Is this possible with PGSQL?  Can I do this, for instance:
> psql -W mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql
>
> and get all my tables created?
>
> Or is this why there are a dozen languages for server programming?  If
> redirecting the input from a batchfile is possible, please point me to
> the right documentation..  If not, I'll go back to the languages
> section of the manual.  Many thanks in advance.

Yes, PostgreSQL has command line tool like mysql. The manual location
is:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-psql.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/