Обсуждение: Backups - WAL archiving. problem understanding documentation

Backups - WAL archiving. problem understanding documentation

От
"David"
Дата:
My database v8.3 is running well on Fedora C3, but now I have to instal a backup system and
I am having trouble understanding the documentation. I am new to Postgresql so please be
patient with my questions.

What is the difference between archive and backup? The terms seem to be inter changed.

The “Archive” command “will always be placed in the postgresql.conf file (p 307). I could not see any sections or related commands there. Not even an example. Will adding an archive command in this file actually cause wal files to be copied? If so, when - when they fill or at a set interval or when a full backup is done. Is there a way of forcing the Wal file to be copied?

The following command (p308) uses –i and </dev/null. The –i allows interact with the
terminal, the </dev/null suggests it can get input from null. It seems contradictory to
me.

Cp –i %p mnt/server/archivedir/%f </dev/null

How can I ensure WAL archiving is enabled and working? I thought it was automatic.

If I execute pg_start_backup, an archive command, and pg_stop_backup in a script, will the
commands be carried out in sequence and do not overlap (p309).

Are backed up WAL files automatically deleted?  Can a delete command be added to the script?

If there is any more documentation or books for beginners that are explicit on WAL backups I
will gratefully buy one.

Re: Backups - WAL archiving. problem understanding documentation

От
Дата:
David,

i'm not sure if this will help, but the following
should be located in your postgresql.conf file...

wal_files
wal_fsync_method
wal_debug

http://auctions.yahoo.com/