Обсуждение: error handling

error handling

От
"Cima"
Дата:
hi,

im working with php 4 and postgresql 8 and i would like to know how to
handle certain errors generated. in postgresql,  i've written a stored
function that selects a record from a table and in case no record is found i
'raise an exception'. fine, now in my php script  i call that the stored
function which works properly when there is a record but when the record
doesnt exist, i would like to be able to place my own error message and not
e.g  'fatal error, .....'. how do i capture(in php)  the exception i raised
in postgres so that i know the record doesnt exist?

thanx.

Re: error handling

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:46:24AM -0400, Cima wrote:

> im working with php 4 and postgresql 8 and i would like to know how to
> handle certain errors generated. in postgresql,  i've written a stored
> function that selects a record from a table and in case no record is found i
> 'raise an exception'. fine, now in my php script  i call that the stored
> function which works properly when there is a record but when the record
> doesnt exist, i would like to be able to place my own error message and not
> e.g  'fatal error, .....'. how do i capture(in php)  the exception i raised
> in postgres so that i know the record doesnt exist?

You can use PHP's error handling capabilities to prevent errors
from being displayed automatically:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.errorfunc.php

If you're sending queries with pg_query() then you can check its
return value to see if a query failed; if it did, you can call
pg_last_error() to get the error message.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-query.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-last-error.php

If you're using other functions to interface with PostgreSQL then
see the documentation for those functions.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/