Обсуждение: Two copies of every mail!

Two copies of every mail!

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
Hi!

I can't find (at least, not in my first 10 minutes of looking) a mailing
list preferences page for this list. I don't like the fact that I must
hit "reply-all" to get the mailing list, but I can get used to that.

What is driving me nuts is that on every thread I get involved, I get
two copies of every mail since I get one from the list and one via CC.
Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks for any pointers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: Two copies of every mail!

Дата:
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> writes:
> What is driving me nuts is that on every thread I get involved, I get
> two copies of every mail since I get one from the list and one via CC.
> Is there a way to disable this?

Yes; I forget the exact setting, but there is one.  Send the command
"help set" to majordomo@postgresql.org for an extensive screed on all
the settable subscription options.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr

should also help ... if you know your email/passwd ...

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> writes:
>> What is driving me nuts is that on every thread I get involved, I get
>> two copies of every mail since I get one from the list and one via CC.
>> Is there a way to disable this?
>
> Yes; I forget the exact setting, but there is one.  Send the command
> "help set" to majordomo@postgresql.org for an extensive screed on all
> the settable subscription options.
>
>             regards, tom lane

----

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
> Yes; I forget the exact setting, but there is one.  Send the command
> "help set" to majordomo@postgresql.org for an extensive screed on all
> the settable subscription options.

I've made some changes and will see how those work out. Gotta admit I
like having a web page on which to modify all my preferences at once
somewhat better, though. Thanks!

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 12:17 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> I've made some changes and will see how those work out. Gotta admit I
> like having a web page on which to modify all my preferences at once
> somewhat better, though. Thanks!

Well, yuck. I told Majordomo not to send me duplicates, and so now when
I'm involved in a thread (i.e. someone hits reply-to-all and I'm in that
list) I get replies directly from the sender but *not* from the list.
This means that no X-Mailing-List header is present and no processing is
done (no footers, no subject rewrite, nothing).

So apparently, either I'm stuck with getting duplicates all the time, or
I have to filter on "pgsql-novice@postgresql.org" being one of the
recipients. Yuck.

Still worth hanging around, of course. :-)

Sigh,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 18:40:32 -0600,
  "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> wrote:

> Well, yuck. I told Majordomo not to send me duplicates, and so now when
> I'm involved in a thread (i.e. someone hits reply-to-all and I'm in that
> list) I get replies directly from the sender but *not* from the list.
> This means that no X-Mailing-List header is present and no processing is
> done (no footers, no subject rewrite, nothing).
>
> So apparently, either I'm stuck with getting duplicates all the time, or
> I have to filter on "pgsql-novice@postgresql.org" being one of the
> recipients. Yuck.

The other thing to do is to configure your mail client to tell people
you don't want to be cc'd using the mail-followup-to header. Not all
clients support this, though on a technical list, I would expect that
the majority do, especially amoung those used by people trying to answer
questions.

Another option, if you don't think you will want anyone replying directly
to you, is to set up a rule(s) in your mail client to change your from address
when sending mail to one of the postgres lists to match the list address.

Re: Two copies of every mail!

Дата:
> Another option, if you don't think you will want anyone replying directly
> to you, is to set up a rule(s) in your mail client to change your from address
> when sending mail to one of the postgres lists to match the list address.

In my not-so-humble opinion, doing that would be grounds for ejection
from the lists.  The reason why it's not a friendly thing to do is that
there are still some broken MTAs out there that send bounces back to the
From: address instead of the correct-per-RFC envelope sender address.
It's annoying enough when you get one of those bounces (invariably from
someplace you never heard of) ... but imagine what happens if the bounce
goes to the list.

Now, if you want to make your From: be a phony address on your own
machine and direct that traffic to /dev/null, that's your own business.
But keep in mind that you'd be blackholing any off-list replies too ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
I went to the settings page and saw this option an activated it:

replyto
  Select this if you want your replies to be sent to the  pgsql-novice
mailing list. Otherwise, your replies may only be sent to the authors
of the messages to which you reply.

I thought it would cause a reply-to header to be added so just hitting
reply would respond to the list (only). Unfortunately, I can't see that
changing the preference made any difference. What does this option do?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Two copies of every mail!

Дата:
John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> writes:
> I went to the settings page and saw this option an activated it:
> replyto
>   Select this if you want your replies to be sent to the  pgsql-novice
> mailing list. Otherwise, your replies may only be sent to the authors
> of the messages to which you reply.

> I thought it would cause a reply-to header to be added so just hitting
> reply would respond to the list (only). Unfortunately, I can't see that
> changing the preference made any difference. What does this option do?

I thought what it would do is cause the list bot to attach a
(quite different from attaching same to your own outgoing messages).
Since I don't particularly want that behavior, I've never experimented
with it; so I might be wrong.  What do you see in incoming pgsql-novice
mail now that you've set the flag?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Two copies of every mail!

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Jan 27, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> I thought what it would do is cause the list bot to attach a
> (quite different from attaching same to your own outgoing messages).
> Since I don't particularly want that behavior, I've never experimented
> with it; so I might be wrong.  What do you see in incoming pgsql-novice
> mail now that you've set the flag?

Right, this is what I meant and was expecting. This is what some other
lists do and I find it preferable for me since all parties are on the
list and I rarely see a reason to make a personal reply (I'm aware
there is great division on this issue, so I was really glad there seems
to be a preference for it).

Anyway, I don't see any difference after setting it. Here is a header
from the list (no reply-to in the header):