Обсуждение: programming language for postgresql

programming language for postgresql

От
Ramon Orticio
Дата:
dear friends,

i am intending to do is to have a database system
where there is a server for storage of data and a
multiuser application distributed over a network of
computer.

i would like to have a similar system to what i did
with microsoft access as the database and vb6 as the
programming language that connects to access and
creates the gui.

thanks.

ramon

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
Noel Faux
Дата:
Ramon Orticio wrote:

>dear friends,
>
>i am intending to do is to have a database system
>where there is a server for storage of data and a
>multiuser application distributed over a network of
>computer.
>
>i would like to have a similar system to what i did
>with microsoft access as the database and vb6 as the
>programming language that connects to access and
>creates the gui.

Any programing / scripting language, such as java, perl , php,  which
has a postgres driver / module will allow you connect to the database.
For web pages php is light and easy to write in. Java for a more
interactive application.

Cheers
Noel

Вложения

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
brew@theMode.com
Дата:
Ramon.....

> i would like to have a similar system to what i did with microsoft
> access as the database and vb6 as the programming language that connects
> to access and creates the gui.

Although I use perl and php to connect to the Postgresql database I'm
pretty sure you can use VB as your programming language.  I think there
are some here that have used VB.

It's probably better (faster to develop?) to use the language you are
familiar with.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2005, at 2:33 AM, brew@theMode.com wrote:

> Ramon.....
>
>> i would like to have a similar system to what i did with microsoft
>> access as the database and vb6 as the programming language that
>> connects
>> to access and creates the gui.
>
> Although I use perl and php to connect to the Postgresql database I'm
> pretty sure you can use VB as your programming language.  I think there
> are some here that have used VB.

With ODBC, I think you could, in theory, use VB and Microsoft Access,
just as for your other application.

> It's probably better (faster to develop?) to use the language you are
> familiar with.

As long as the language will allow the application goals to be met, I
totally agree.

Sean

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
"Glenn Davy"
Дата:
I've used Microsoft access with odbc no problems (that couldn't be solved -
it was a long time ago)
Glenn
>> i would like to have a similar system to what i did with microsoft
>> access as the database and vb6 as the programming language that
>> connects
>> to access and creates the gui.
>
> Although I use perl and php to connect to the Postgresql database I'm
> pretty sure you can use VB as your programming language.  I think there
> are some here that have used VB.

With ODBC, I think you could, in theory, use VB and Microsoft Access,
just as for your other application.

> It's probably better (faster to develop?) to use the language you are
> familiar with.

As long as the language will allow the application goals to be met, I
totally agree.

Sean

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- Ramon Orticio <rporticio@yahoo.com> wrote:

> dear friends,
>
> i am intending to do is to have a database system
> where there is a server for storage of data and a
> multiuser application distributed over a network of
> computer.
>
> i would like to have a similar system to what i did
> with microsoft access as the database and vb6 as the
> programming language that connects to access and
> creates the gui.

You can do the same thing via ODBC.  I have converted
several MS Access applications to use PostgreSQL as a
backend, with great success.  A few points:

* Look at a migration tool, to make your life easier.
I have had excellent results with the "database
migration wizard" that comes with PgAdminII, the
earlier version of the PgAdminIII administration tool
(unfortunately, the wizard has not been added to III
yet AFAIK).  Look at http://www.pgadmin.org (which
seems to be down as I write this).

* Download the psqlodbc driver, and read the FAQs and
hints for Access and VB users that you can find on the
project page:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc

* Your application may run fine without any changes
whatever, or you may need to make some changes: there
are some issues with running MS Access in
client-server mode, which may or may not cause your
app a problem.  There is an excellent coverage of
Access client-server issues in the well-known "Access
Developer's Handbook".  For example, for reports, you
may need to make some of your queries into
pass-through queries, in order to make them more
efficient.

* Subscribe to the pgsql-odbc mailing list, and post
your questions there.  The archives for that list will
have lots of material that will be helpful for you.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
"M. Bastin"
Дата:
Hi Ramon,

If you want a VB like experience then:

1) use VB or

2) use REALbasic + pgSQL4RB which is a specialized solution for
PostgreSQL.  You can find all about it by googling for pgSQL4RB.

RB (REALbasic) is very similar to VB and there are conversion tools
to go from VB to RB. But RB will also compile for Linux and Macintosh
(OS 9 and OS X).

Marc

Re: programming language for postgresql

От
Gustavo Pinsard
Дата:
Ramon,

get a look at Clarion for Windows - www.softvelocity.com

It is a full development language, WITH a VERY powerful code generation
facility. I am concluding you're new to programming, and if that's true,
you'll bennefit a lot from Clarion.

You will connect to the PG via a very easy to set ODBC DSN, and as you
develop as a programmer, you can forget about the DSN and program the
connection strings directly.

I advise you to get the Professional version of Clarion, if you're
interested on it, instead of the Enterprise, as the Pro version does
EVERYTHING the Enterprese one, and is a lot cheaper. The extras that
come with the Enterprise won't add anything for you, believe me.

If you have any further questions about Clarion, feel free to send me an
email directly at gustavo@ultrasys.com.br

I have a "why Clarion" PDF that you might be interested in.

HTH

Gustavo