Обсуждение: Removing a user's password

Removing a user's password

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
Hi!

Me again. <grin>

I have learned how to ALTER USER to both set a password and change a
password. However, I can't seem to *remove* a password. Setting it to ''
does not work as intended; on the next login, psql asks for a password
and fails no matter what I do.

I've been through the files in /usr/share/doc/postgresql* and the
manual, with no joy. Any hints?

Thanks!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: Removing a user's password

Дата:
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> writes:
> I have learned how to ALTER USER to both set a password and change a
> password. However, I can't seem to *remove* a password.

AFAIR this isn't supported directly.  You can get the effect in two ways
though:

1. (language lawyer's way)

ALTER USER luser WITH VALID UNTIL 'yesterday';

The password is still there, but no longer usable.

2. (hacker's way)

UPDATE pg_shadow SET passwd = NULL WHERE usename = 'luser';

This really does reset the password, but it involves more intimacy with
the current system catalog representation than you might like --- ie,
it might possibly break in some future version of Postgres.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Removing a user's password

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
> "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> writes:
> > I have learned how to ALTER USER to both set a password and change a
> > password. However, I can't seem to *remove* a password.
>
> AFAIR this isn't supported directly.  You can get the effect in two ways
> though:

Just about what I wanted to know, thanks! The hacker's solution will do
for today. In the future, I'm simply going to use user passwords on the
production server and put my personal notebook's postmaster on "trust".

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>